I will not GIVE UP! (well maybe ;)

MOM&POP DIY

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 31, 2009
I have been brushing, adding chlorine, testing, vaccuming for 3 weeks. Please help. My pool has gone from green to greyish green. It has been clear all winter - suddenly about 3 weeks ago started to turn. I brought it up to shock level - high 20's, then my husband added chlorine again (he didn't know I had already added) so it was about 40, so I drained and readded until I got it back to around 30 of FC. He took a sample to professional to verify my testing - and all the numbers were really close except the chlorine - they tested 10 - when mine was 30. I retested and verified my results. I am pretty sure I was right- they were wrong.
4-6-10
My numbers_
37 FC
7.2 ph
50 TA
70-80 CYA

Pools store said add baking soda - so we did

4-13-10
26 FC
2.5 cc
7.5 ph
140 TA
70/80 CYA

Still grey water with a slight green tint in the deep end. I have 29000 gallon in ground.
We cleaned the filter (one year old). Filter pressure is 14. I backwask at least everyother day - but usually daily.
Any suggestions? :lol: :lol:

Re: I GIVE UP!

Grey water means that you are killing the algae so keep at it. Also, chlorine works better with lower PH, so don't raise the PH (TA) anymore until the alage is gone. The main thing right now is to keep the chlorine level up to 32 ppm until the pool clears. Its a pain but eventually, it will work. Good luck.

POP! YOu need some Pool Owner Patience... :)

Sorry this is so frustrating... you have to keep the FC up to 32 and hold it there, testing and adding bleach as much as hourly if you can (will speed this process up). If you are allowing the FC to drop down too low in between bleach additions it will make the process take longer. You didn't need to drain to lower the FC, I'm willing to bet that 40 would have been consumed rather rapidly, based on your CC reading of 2.5.

Stay the course... hang in there, don't give up! :goodjob:

Make sure you are filtering 24/7, and brushing the pool daily. is there any solid organic material on the bottom, like leaves or anything? You only need to backwash when the PSI rise indicates it's needed.

Mas and I were typing at the same time... :wink:

I would slow down on the backwashing some. A slightly 'dirty' sand filter works better because there's more surface area to catch and hold tiny particles of impurities. As FPM said, backwash only when the pressure rises by, say, 5 increments on the gauge.

After backwashing be sure you put it through a rinse cycle for 30 seconds at least to repack the sand.

I GIVE UP - UPDATE

Topics Merged by Moderator for Consistency. Please keep all your posts together on this thread, Thanks! :)

My water looked as cloudy today as ever, with I believe more green tint. Numbers:
FC - 27.5
TA -120
CYA 80-90 (really hard to get it exact)
did not repeat ph, but on 4-13-10 it was 7.5
SWG is running

My chlorine level is not dropping very much, but pool is getting greener. So, as I was advised, I added more chlorine this am (2 large bottles - didn't have time to retest as I had to run to work - will retest this afternoon). How long can I run these levels without ruining my liner and equipment? And, when it finally clears, how can I get the chlorine levels to drop to normal. Could the reason the chlorine levels are staying pretty consistent is the SWG output? Should I turn it off or let it run?

Going to brush and vaccum this afternoon.

Thanks

Re: I GIVE UP - UPDATE

MOM&POP DIY said:
My water looked as cloudy today as ever, with I believe more green tint. Numbers:
FC - 27.5
TA -120
CYA 80-90 (really hard to get it exact)
did not repeat ph, but on 4-13-10 it was 7.5
SWG is running

My chlorine level is not dropping very much, but pool is getting greener. So, as I was advised, I added more chlorine this am (2 large bottles - didn't have time to retest as I had to run to work - will retest this afternoon). How long can I run these levels without ruining my liner and equipment? And, when it finally clears, how can I get the chlorine levels to drop to normal. Could the reason the chlorine levels are staying pretty consistent is the SWG output? Should I turn it off or let it run?

Going to brush and vaccum this afternoon.

Thanks

I would think shutting down the SWG would let the FC drop to a more normal level once it ic clear...how long have you been trying to clear your green pool. It takes time...Running at that high FC should not have an effect on your liner as long as you are not pouring chlorine in directly on the liner or not pouring it in without the pump circulating...I pour right into the current from the return...this circulates it pretty well.

Re: I GIVE UP - UPDATE

The recommended level for borates is between 30 and 50. Typically you raise it up to 50 early in the season so it will still be at least 30 by the end of the season. For the moment, your level is fine, but you will need to raise it fairly soon and you might as well raise it up to 50.

With FC levels up that high and borates in the water, odds are fairly good that the algae is all dead, or will be very soon. You can do an overnight FC loss test to check to see if the algae is all dead or not. From there it can take a while for the filter to clear up the water. What kind of filter do you have? Have you been backwashing/cleaning the filter?

Algae sometimes stays green even when it is dead. Are you concerned that the water is still green, or did it turn green very recently?

In order to do the overnight FC loss test, the SWG must be turned off.

If you do the test tonight, with the SWG off, this will tell you if the algae is dead, or not. If the FC holds overnight, then filter just needs time to clear it, or the green is caused by something else (like metals). But do the overnight loss test to rule out organics first.

If you lose more than 1ppm of FC overnight, then you still can blame algae and you need to maintain your shock level.

Instructions for the overnight fc loss test are in Pool School.

okay - I did the overnight test. My FC last night was 38 (checked it twice). I turned the SWG off and went to bed. This AM FC -s 32, water still cloudy. Gonna vaccum now.

I am thinking that it might help to replace somw water and bring the cya down - any help appreciated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

My advice: don't give up! The FC loss test indicates that there are organics in the pool that the chlorine is working on. Keep doing the overnight loss test until your FC holds.

I would also check your filter - if it's channeled it won't clear the dead algae. Once the pool gets clearer and most of the algae is cleared, you may want to add DE or fiber clear to the filter (according to the proper adding process), but I wouldn't do this until closer to the end of the process or the filter might clog too quickly. If you decide to do this, please be sure to add it only after a backwash.

You're on your way, don't give up!

Just got back from Sams with truck load of clorox,

Rechecked levels
fc - 32
cc - 0
ph 7.8
ta 120
cya 65-70
I drained several inches off and have refilled those inches since 6:30 this am.
So here I start the day devoted to clearing this pool.
Obviously 32 of fc is not enough - so gonna add some more - any suggestions on how much to add?

Assuming your CYA test results are any where near correct, FC of 32 is enough.

Have you done an overnight FC loss test? That will tell you if there is any algae left alive at this point.

Remember, it can take several days, or even more than a week sometimes, for the water to clear up after all the algae is dead (depending on how well your filter is working).

Thanks Jason. I tested the fc at 38 last nite after dark, and 32 this am, so something is going on. the greyish blue with slight green tint was little more green this am. So I vaccumed this am, brushed the walls and added 2 more large bottles of clorox about 25 minutes ago. What should I look for to indicate any level of success here. I did turn the SWG off. I think my filter is ok - its one year old and is running. We added a "filter cleaner" and let is sit idle this week for 24 hours then rinsed it. The pressure is 14 on the dial.
I'm getting ready to do my first 30 min. chlorine read. I'll be back in a minute.

okay - after adding the 2 bottles fc is 41. I am not sure if it is wishful thinking or actually change but the water looks bluer but still cloudy. Blue-er when the sun is out, maybe greenish when sun is behind clouds. I have looked at it soooo much, its getting hard to tell. I guess i should retest in 30 minutes ??? When do I rebrush and vacuum?
Thanks

Very windy and sunny now. I scooped a very few stray leaves, skimmer is good, re-brushed the walls and as much floor as I can reach. I think the water is more grey/blue than green - but still can't tell for sure. Very cloudy - can not see the brush when it is on the bottom in 8ft end - clorine still good. Do I need to treat the elevated ph today, or just concentrate on the chlorine levels?

Don't overdo it on the bleach. FC of 30 is plenty. More chlorine isn't always better.

At high CYA levels it can sometimes take a while to kill all the algae. Pick up a bottle of POP (pool owner patience), relax a little, and let the chlorine do it's job.

Whew - I am ready for that! I just went to re-check for the 100th time the filter and found a small lizard like creature in the square window that is connected at the bottom of the filter. I opened the window and removed the basket - few leaves and the lizard. Maybe he was my problem? Problem or not - I'm glad I found him and he is GONE! lol.
I will take the dose of POP and give it a rest until tomorrow. Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.