I will not GIVE UP! (well maybe ;)

Still cloudy and weather still stormy. Tornados around tonight, so SWG is running and pool is on autopilot till weather improves. Hope tomorrow brings clearer water as my last numbers were not too bad.

It sounds like when you opened up the filter there was a fair amount of pollen in there. Even though your filter pressure was "normal" it still had pollen. I too noticed this with my pool this season here in NC. My filter pressure maybe raised one psi but water was still not crystal clear. When I backwashed I was AMAZED at the dirtiness of the water in the sight glass. It was awful, yet my filter pressure sure wasn't indicative of a dirty filter. So I made sure I backwashed every other day, rinsed after each backwash before returning to filter mode, and had filter running 24/7.

It did eventually clear, but was challenging...

and frustrating as heck.

Keep the faith.

My water is finally clear

Topics Merged by Moderator

For the first time since the end of March, my pool is crystal clear this morning! I am ashamed to say that I fell off the wagon. Those of you that have followed my posts know that I have brushed, vacuumed, shocked, shocked, shocked, tested (used most of 2 TF100 kits), washed my filter sand, tried to be patient ..... still had cloudy water. No daily progress. I really think my problem is that awful North Carolina Pine pollen. It was awful this year, and that is when my problems started.
A few weeks ago, I reported that my husband took a sample to a professional dealer to double check my tests, and the owner sold him a bottle of "polysheen" and told him, it would work. I have looked at the bottle, pushed it aside, as I was determined to stick with the program.
Yesterday, I realized that with all my efforts, I was going nowhere - NO improvement. So I looked up the MSDS and found it was very safe to the kids, so I added 6 oz. at 6pm last night. At 6 am, I had crystal clear water for the first time since March. I have to admit, that although I am excited that my beautiful pool has returned, I feel so defeated - as I was so proud that I only had very little additives to my pool, but guys, it just did not clear up - at all. I think I may have been fighting algae when my problem was yellow pollen. I don't know what tomorrow may bring, but today I see progress. I plan to retest this afternoon, and try really hard to get back with the program. Thank you all so very much for your help. I will retest either tonight (I have a meeting tonight) for tomorrow and attempt to get my levels up to par.

Re: My water is finally clear

If it brings you peace of mind... you are not the first person to use clarifier in this kind of situation. No worries. :wink:

Now- they key for you will be prevention - always, always, keep that FC above your "min" at all times - and you should avoid a repeat of this Saga.

I'm happy your pool is clear - :goodjob:

Thanks for being so very patient with me - I was really getting discouraged, but even so, I wanted so badly to do this with extra additives. I guess it best to look at it all in perspective - the grandkids will be able to swim soon, and my pool party in 2 weeks can go on (even though we did not plan to swim - I wanted it to look pretty). I plan on checking the levels either late tonight or early am. Thanks again friend!

This is eerie. I live in North Carolina too and am experiencing the exact same weird situation.

I had my pool clear and blue a couple times already this season, but rain and pollen kept setting me back. A few weeks ago after some heavy rains, my pool turned thoroughly green and cloudy and I decided to give up fighting it until the weather cleared. So it has been about a week that I have been back at it, running the filter at least 16 hours a day, keeping the chlorine at shock levels, with no noticeable improvement in the water, and no typical increase in filter pressure.

Now, I know my filter, I know it doesn't just sit there at the starting pressure for very long, so with no water improvement and no increase in pressure, I was sure there was something wrong with the filtration. I replaced the filter grids (they needed it anyway), the o-ring on the outlet pipe, the spider gasket in the valve, ran the filter for a few more days. No change. The filter remains at the starting pressure, and the water is just as green and cloudy as before. In the evening light, it's actually a pretty nice green. I wish my lawn was that green.

The pollen and related springtime trash from the trees has been truly CRAZY this year, I've never seen anything like it. Is it possible that I have been brewing up a lovely poolful of pollen tea? I am resistant to using additives but I think I want to try a clarifier like the original poster. Does anyone have other suggestions for dealing with pollen overload?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.