Starting Over

Oct 7, 2009
SW IN
I am having a new vinyl liner installed in the next 2 weeks. This will be my second liner in the last 6 years. The precious one developed wrinkles along the the wall of the shallow end.The wrinkles were so bad last year that the liner would not stay in the track in the shallow end. In addition the liner and white steps have a brownish stain. The pool is an 18'x36' Foxx. As near as I can tell it has a 25000 gal capacity
I have had trouble maintaining a ph above 6.8 for the last 3 years. I would add ph+ according to the pool store recommendation. The ph would come up but withinin a week or two it would be back down. We had several storms last season which didn't help. I have had a problem keeping chlorine levels above 1.0. The alkalinity drops to 60 or 70 several times a season. I have been using Leslies 3" Tri-chlor pucks in a Hayward Chlorine feeder for the last 6 years. Last year I went through almost (4) 35lb buckets of tabs.
I found this site last fall. I have been reading different posts all winter. I am thinking the CYA was too high which caused my ph problem. The low ph caused the liner to wrinkle. I have the the Leslies DPD test kit that I use to test the water. Several times a season I would take a sample to the pool store just to confirm my test results. I failed to test the cya often enough last year. The pool store only tested it once and early in the season.
I also have had an algae bloom 2 or 3 times each year. I have always used an algae preventer on a weekly basis. Low to no chlorine at times probably cause the algae to take over. I had changed the sand in the 300# filter 2 years ago. Just to start out fresh I removed the sand last weekend.
My pool store is having their annual 25% off sale starting today. I am getting 12 cases of chlorine. 5 bottles of algae preventer. New sand and some 3" tablets. I am only going to use the tabs until the cya gets up to 30 and will then switch to liguid chlorine. I am ordering a Taylor K2006 test kit from Swimming Pool Supply today. Once the pool test results are stable I want to try the BBB method. Can anyone think of anything else I should pick up at the sale? Am I thinking right on the possible cause of the liner damage? I realize without accurate test results it is pretty much a lot of guesswork. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Do not buy the algae preventor, that is what chlorine is for. If you are getting algae it is from lack of chlorine. The same with the 3" tablets, don't buy them. 25% off of stuff you don't need is no bargain. It will take too long for the tablets to raise CYA to 30 and you do not want algae to get a head start. Tablets are useful for maintaining chlorine levels if you need to go out of town and there is no one available to put chlorine in your pool. Otherwise I would not use them. Since you are starting over, you can use liquid or powdered stabilizer to raise the CYA. Use the Pool Calculator to find how much you need to add to raise it to 30. Put in about 75% of that amount and retest in about a week. Adjust as needed to reach 30. Use the liquid chlorine as soon as the pool is filled. If you just have to buy something 25% off then maybe a new leaf rake or some vacuum hoses are in order. Examine your pool tools and see if any need replacing. Check the prices of washing soda and baking soda at the local grocery before you buy pH + or pH- at the pool store. Odds are the grocery store will be cheaper than the pool store's sale price. Re-read pool school a few times, ask questions as they come up. If your kit comes before the liner is installed, go ahead and test the water you will be using to fill the pool. It will be helpful to know what the pH, TA, and CH are before anything is added to the water.

Welcome.

I wouldn't bother with the case of chlorine or the algeacide. Just get CYA in a 4lb jug at Walmart, get some chlorox, borax and baking soda. You'll spend about less than 40 bucks on that alone. :goodjob:

The pucks were your enemy. They are acidic and most definately the main reason why you were fighting with low pH for 3 years. You really don't need them unless you're going on vacation.

If you haven't done so already, read pool school. you can find a link in my siggy or top right of every forum. Also look into a good test kit if you haven't already. Linky in my siggy!

gotgone said:
I am having a new vinyl liner installed in the next 2 weeks. This will be my second liner in the last 6 years. The precious one developed wrinkles along the the wall of the shallow end.The wrinkles were so bad last year that the liner would not stay in the track in the shallow end. In addition the liner and white steps have a brownish stain. The pool is an 18'x36' Foxx. As near as I can tell it has a 25000 gal capacity
I have had trouble maintaining a ph above 6.8 for the last 3 years. I would add ph+ according to the pool store recommendation. The ph would come up but withinin a week or two it would be back down. We had several storms last season which didn't help. I have had a problem keeping chlorine levels above 1.0. The alkalinity drops to 60 or 70 several times a season. I have been using Leslies 3" Tri-chlor pucks in a Hayward Chlorine feeder for the last 6 years. Last year I went through almost (4) 35lb buckets of tabs.
I found this site last fall. I have been reading different posts all winter. I am thinking the CYA was too high which caused my ph problem. The low ph caused the liner to wrinkle. I have the the Leslies DPD test kit that I use to test the water. Several times a season I would take a sample to the pool store just to confirm my test results. I failed to test the cya often enough last year. The pool store only tested it once and early in the season.
I also have had an algae bloom 2 or 3 times each year. I have always used an algae preventer on a weekly basis. Low to no chlorine at times probably cause the algae to take over. I had changed the sand in the 300# filter 2 years ago. Just to start out fresh I removed the sand last weekend.
My pool store is having their annual 25% off sale starting today. I am getting 12 cases of chlorine. 5 bottles of algae preventer. New sand and some 3" tablets. I am only going to use the tabs until the cya gets up to 30 and will then switch to liguid chlorine. I am ordering a Taylor K2006 test kit from Swimming Pool Supply today. Once the pool test results are stable I want to try the BBB method. Can anyone think of anything else I should pick up at the sale? Am I thinking right on the possible cause of the liner damage? I realize without accurate test results it is pretty much a lot of guesswork. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

As already stated, the low PH and TA were caused by the 3" tablets. Your CYA was probably too high- that led to the algae blooms.

Look at the CYA/Chlorine chart in my signature. In order to prevent algae, you have to keep the FC above the "min" level for your CYA at all times. Once CYA climbs above 50, it becomes very difficult if not impossible for tablets to provide enough FC to remain above the proper level.

As for the pool store sale, only buy 1-2 cases of chlorine - as the higher % strengths degrade quicker than 6% clorox or store brand. You want to make sure that what they are selling is fresh, and not left over stock from last year. Only buy that much if you have a well ventilated, cool, dark, dry place where you can store it to maintain the strength.

Do not bother with algaecide. In a properly maintained pool, algaecide is rarely required and certainly not for general pool care.

If you can't find the CYA/Stabilizer at Walmart (or prefer not to shop there), then buy it at the pool store.

If you want to buy tabs (if you are completely out) to use on vacations, etc. that would be ok, but if you plan to use them on a regular basis, you need to understand what they do to your water, monitor the PH/TA and CYA levels and adjust them when they become a problem. Some people use them early in the season and then once the CYA hits 50 they switch to bleach. :wink:

If you are unsure of any of the advice thus far, just holler and we can try to explain things further. :goodjob:

I really appreciate all yor responses. This is a really great site. I have read pool school several times and hope to meaintain the pool better this year.
I am fairly sure that the cya levels caused all my problems. I only will get enough tabs to cover vacations. I guess I am pool store trained. It does bother me that no pool store employee ever mentioned high cya as a possible cause for ph probs. I guess I will use the sale discount to get sand and a small container of tabs. I had already made a list to get new brushes and leaf rake. I think I will get a new vacuum head. The one I have is 10 years old and showing it's age. What is the best type head to buy? Thanks againfor all your help.

Here's a variety: I have a "deluxe" clear one that works fine for me
http://www.google.com/products?rlz=...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CDoQrQQwAg

One time, when I was dealing with my pool issues (CYA was too high) the pool store didn't bother to test for it, and when I asked why, he actually told me I "didn't need to worry about that"... and their printout said levels up to 200 were "acceptable." :roll: Hah!

Here in southern Indiana the summers are terrible. The low chlorine levels and high cya did a number on my pool. It really bothers me that not once did any of the pool store people mention the cya levels. At least now I am better informed. I got you folks for expert advice in the future. BTW I ordered the K2006 test kit a little while ago. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.