overhead lighting for new pool owner

Jeff74

Mar 10, 2010
Huntington, WV
I just installed our 24' AGP and was wondering what kind of lighting to use? I was thinking something overhead, maybe a floodlight, but I dont want it overly bright to annoy the neighbors. I really only want the pool lit up from above as we already have accent lighting for the deck area and that light does not make it to the pool area.

Any suggestions?

Overhead lighting will probably make your pool a bug haven. Even a light in the pool will draw some bugs. I usually use 4 to 6 tiki torches when we swim at night.

I concur about the bugs. We have a tripod flood light that we sometimes bring out for parties and what not - for safety reasons we move it far enough away that no one will accidently touch/trip on it, it does attract the bugs though -but at least they are by the light and not by the pool. Of course it's always fun to try and turn it off :shock: , while being swarmed by june bugs and giant moths...LOL

I'm thinking about this too, will give the tiki's a try, with some deck lights. New patio set this year, want to create a more 'outdoor living' area by the pool and maybe swim at night more...

well, since we have determined that the bugs will be attracted to the light about 20' above the pool/deck area, what kind of light should I look at? Keep in mind, it will only be to light the pool and not the entire backyard and neighbors yard. I was looking at the rectangular halogen lights, but they are really, really bright and probably has too much light cast out.

Jeff74 said:
well, since we have determined that the bugs will be attracted to the light about 20' above the pool/deck area, what kind of light should I look at? Keep in mind, it will only be to light the pool and not the entire backyard and neighbors yard. I was looking at the rectangular halogen lights, but they are really, really bright and probably has too much light cast out.

Just get a small pool light. When the water is lit, you can see everything in there.

Bama Rambler said:
We have a Nightlighter Multicolor in our pool and I got to tell you that I love it. With it and the deck lights we have plenty of light at night but not so much as to be bothersome.

I second this. The Multicolor from Smartpool is a great light. Very easy to install and the quality is excellent.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There's a bracket that hangs over the wall that holds the light up so it's not hanging from the cord. It's not an electrical hazard because it's fed from a 12v current limited transformer and that's plugged into a GFCI receptacle. It has a 28' cord from the transformer to the light. There's a small waterproof switch on the top of the bracket that you use to change the color or have it cycle through all the colors.

I will go 3rd's on the Nightliter .... Also on those you can change out one bulb to a regular clear bulb with a 35w MR11 bulb and get the 35 deg spacing flood --It lights my 24' very nicely .. cheapest price I found was at poolsupplies.com for 99.99...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.