7 year itch..Taking things into my own hands...

Re: Confirmation

poolgirl22 said:
Regardless of what we've been told by the pool stores that FC levels above 3 are DANGER: DON'T SWIM, appropriate FC levels are relative to the amount of CYA..in essence a FC 9 is fine so long as the CYA is 55...but it would be too high if CYA is say, 20..

A blanket recommendation of FC of 1-3 all season is completely inaccurate pool chemical management.

Thanks.

Your numbers are a little off from the Chlorine/CYA chart in Pool School, but you have the idea right. pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

Our swimming suits last forever, even though I run at 5-6ppm chlorine.

Re: Confirmation

JohnT said:
poolgirl22 said:
Regardless of what we've been told by the pool stores that FC levels above 3 are DANGER: DON'T SWIM, appropriate FC levels are relative to the amount of CYA..in essence a FC 9 is fine so long as the CYA is 55...but it would be too high if CYA is say, 20..

A blanket recommendation of FC of 1-3 all season is completely inaccurate pool chemical management.

Thanks.

Your numbers are a little off from the Chlorine/CYA chart in Pool School, but you have the idea right. pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

Our swimming suits last forever, even though I run at 5-6ppm chlorine.

Thanks John. I pulled my numbers from what the pool calculator gives me. Is that correct considering it takes into account all the other factors I'm dealing with...??? Just double checking. Thanks a bunch...

Had to share this pic...my baby girl makes the water look even better!

Attachments

• Apr18 (320x240).jpg
    Apr18 (320x240).jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 136
Good morning...
We are in fine shape today. I was a bit nervous as we put the stairs back in yesterday. Bleach bottles with pea gravel and bleach poured into the bottles..bleached and scrubbed the steps and the bottles..our local hospital isn't that clean... :mrgreen:

FC:9
CC: .25 (barely pink when I put this in and took half drop to return clear)
TC: 9.25
ph: 7.6
TA: 240

I'm going to go ahead and pull the ph down to 7.2 with acid to start chipping away on the TA issue during pump run times.

I'm also going to go in and pay my opening bill at the pool store and attempt to return some dichlor and a huge bottle of algaecide that isn't PolyQuat60...and whatever it is, is likely what was causing my daughters blonde hair to turn green. If I need either of them later (which I shouldn't) I'll get PQ60 then. I imagine this is when I'll end up letting them know I switched to liquid chlorine.

As far as testing, what's a good schedule in your experiences? I read the recommended schedule in pool school, but was looking for just experience input.
And about the FC level, calculator or the chart? There's some differences of a ppm or so either way.

Have a fantastic week everyone!
Thanks again everyone and a hello to my texas friend who is reading!

poolgirl22 said:
As far as testing, what's a good schedule in your experiences? I read the recommended schedule in pool school, but was looking for just experience input.
And about the FC level, calculator or the chart? There's some differences of a ppm or so either way.
For testing I recommend testing pH, FC & CC every day to begin with and record it. Record the water temp as well. That way you learn your pools personality and after a month or two you can test every other day if you want. I personally run all the tests once a month. Some people say that's not needed, and it probably isn't, but that way I'm sure all the levels stay where I want them.

I have an Excel spreadsheet that I record all my numbers in. I have a column for the quantity of each chemical that I add and have a comments section that I record out of the ordinary things like if we have a big rain, big pool party, piece of equipment issue, etc. That way I can tell what those things do to my chemistry. I also use it to track costs.

I use the Pool Calc exclusively. There is a little difference between the calculator and the FC/CYA chart but it's small so I just use the calculator.

CAN YOU SAY DUHHHHHHH?

Oh man am I a ding dong....

So Saturday I got my test kit and I'm sure I did the FAS-DPD test properly then because it was all so new. However, I'm not sure when I stopped doing it right, maybe Sunday, but I had to correct my error tonight...

I stopped multiplying the drops of R-0871 by .5...so my 8s and 9s were actually 4s and 4.5s...oye! :hammer:

I realized it today when I was just re-reading the instructions to the test kit. This evening I ACTUALLY had:
FC: 2.5 (5 drops!)
CC: 0
TC: 2.5
Ph: 7.2 (had added acid for the TA issue, and aerating)
Thankfully, 4-9 is my range according to the pool calculator using CYA of 55, I have no CC, and the sun wasn't that intense today. I fixed it tonight by adding the appropriate amount to raise to 9.

Not a big deal right now, but could have proved to be a messy situation when the weather heats up!

Just checking in....
The last two nights my FC has been at 6.5 and 5.5 with CC of between 0 and .25 and each night I've added roughly 2 quarts plus a couple cups of bleach to bring it back up to 9..CYA is 55 and dose from Pool Calculator..

I believe this is what trouble free means? Test, add, pour a glass of wine, and watch it sparkle...

Additionally, is this a normal loss during the day with sun over the pool, even though not high temps, for most of the day into evening? 2.5-3.5 ppm? No loss over night.

I didn't realize how lazy a pool owner I was relying on that stupid in line chlorinator...

poolgirl22 said:
Just checking in....
The last two nights my FC has been at 6.5 and 5.5 with CC of between 0 and .25 and each night I've added roughly 2 quarts plus a couple cups of bleach to bring it back up to 9..CYA is 55 and dose from Pool Calculator..

I believe this is what trouble free means? Test, add, pour a glass of wine, and watch it sparkle...

Additionally, is this a normal loss during the day with sun over the pool, even though not high temps, for most of the day into evening? 2.5-3.5 ppm? No loss over night.

I didn't realize how lazy a pool owner I was relying on that stupid in line chlorinator...

Poolgirl...I was once a non believer...fortunately I have the priviledge of having pool mom as a private tutor and friend. It really is just that easy...you test, add chlorine and then pour a glass of wine or whatever it is you drink when you have nothing else to do but enjoy life. Now you can be a lazy pool user...NO work all Play makes Pool Girl a happy happy lady...right!!!

What I like about this is Before I leave for work in the morning, I do a quick test, and if I have to I add, and the Mrs. and kids can swim whenever they want...AND I get all kinds of accolades and Kudos for always having a clean pool...I vacuume maybe two days each week, and spend all together maybe three hours per week on maintenance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks beave...you brought a tear to my eye...or else it's the pollen and all that 'whatever' from the farmer's spray I inhaled on my run today..... :-D

I'm just trying to get to testing in the evening primarily, adding the chlorine, then doing my things in the morning inside so by 1130 me and the kiddo and whoever else pops by are poolside without a care in the world. I am still amazed that I'm running 4-9 on the FC...when for the last 7 years I've been told 1.5 is fine, higher than 3 and my skin would fall off (uh, I wish...particularly in the rear!) when CYA was reading 50-60-70-80-90-100+ as the season went on.... :blah:

I believe.
I really really do.

Ok.

We've had 2 covers in the past and they just disintegrated, likely due to bad chem management, even though it was quite nice for warming things up. With the length of our pool it's terribly heavy even though we FINALLY got a reel that can handle it. And my jack russell is still rather juvenile and thinks covers are big fun, yet she doesn't get in the pool normally. We're waiting another year or so for her to chill out a bit more before replacing again..or having planters around the pool for that matter.

I'm glad to know that loss is normal though. I can handle it...I just bring it up to 9 at night and go about my business...

poolgirl22 said:
Ok.

We've had 2 covers in the past and they just disintegrated, likely due to bad chem management, even though it was quite nice for warming things up. With the length of our pool it's terribly heavy even though we FINALLY got a reel that can handle it. And my jack russell is still rather juvenile and thinks covers are big fun, yet she doesn't get in the pool normally. We're waiting another year or so for her to chill out a bit more before replacing again..or having planters around the pool for that matter.

I'm glad to know that loss is normal though. I can handle it...I just bring it up to 9 at night and go about my business...

Pool girl...I cut my cover into four pieces...when I put it in I put it in one piece at a time and just kind of float it open. Then the next piece...when it is all in place the seams stay together just fine. And this way my wife can at least take them off easier if I leave them on.

Still doing well. No problems. Just a question as I'm watching my test trends...

My FC is getting adjusted just fine. I add to 9 each night and it's trending around a quart or two added depending on amount of sunlight.

My CC seems to bounce from 0 to .25 to .50 and back randomly. Never going above .5 but is that normal to bounce around? I thought once CC was present it stayed there and accumulated? Or, does it get burned off too, like FC in the sun, so long as there's enough FC there?

Just to reinforce FPM's statement. I randomly detect CC's in my pool. It may be weeks between times and it's usually if I test right after a big pool party. Them GK's have a lot of stuff to oxidize out when they've been in there. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.