Green pool - help!!

Apr 14, 2010
Hi! I am new to the board, just looking for help clearing up my green pool! Our cover ripped last year and we couldn't afford a new one, so we decided to leave it uncovered this winter....bad idea! On top of that, the motor in the pump quit working at the same time and we just now got a new one. We took a sample to the local pool store today to get it tested and the numbers are below. The pool is completely green, we can see over half way down, but we cannot see the bottom. I've attached a pic. The pool has ciculated for about 8 hours now, so all the 'stuff' is gone off the top of the water.

Pool specifics - Above ground 24" round 52" deep, vinyl liner. My dad bought the new motor and I do not know the brand, but it is 1HP. And, we are in beautiful Southeastern South Carolina!
Numbers -
Temp 70
Saturation idx minus .4
TDS 400
Tot Chlorine 0
Free chlorine 0
Ph 8
Tot Alkalinity 90
Adj total Alkalinity 84
Total Hardness 40
The test read 0 algae, but I think that was manually entered. I am sure we have algae, unless there is another reason would it be green.

We were told a bunch of things to do, but the only thing we have done so far is add 10 pounds of baking soda. We were told to add 12 pounds of alkalinity increaser but the local Fred's only had 10 pounds and the next nearest store is over 10 miles away. So, we will get the other 2 pounds in the morning.

Next step we were told is lowering ph with 2 lbs ph decreaser (we have this left over from last year)

3rd, add 4.5 pounds of stabilizer - We do not have this, is this necessary???

4th, add 4 bags shock (we are fine with using shock instead of bleach)

5th (or whenever water clears up) add 24 pounds of calcium hardness - Is this necessary in a vinyl above ground pool???

Do you all agree with those steps? Did we do the right thing by going ahead with the baking soda? I didn't think the calcium was an issue for vinyl ag pool and what is the purpose of the stabilizer being step 3??

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Attachments

• DSC08248v.jpg
    DSC08248v.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC08247z.jpg
    DSC08247z.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 101
First get a TFP test kit. Or something that you can test yourself...Pool store numbers don't always give you the information you need.

Focus right now on getting some chlorine in your pool...YOU HAVE NONE. YOu need to get shock level up...

First lesson...everyone will tell you that shock is the same as shocking...shocking your pool is something you do...not something you buy...when shocking you need to get the levels up and without knowing what your Cyanuric Acid Level is...Stabilizer...If it is 0 your shock level would be somewhere around 8-10 ppm...I am just going on memory.

But you need to get it up and keep it up. If you don't the green will never go away...It is going to take more than 4 lbs of shock to shock your pool.

Then you're going to need to focus on your pH. Right now it is a little high...and it will go higher as you get up to shock...so basically clean up the pool first then get the pH in balance.

Before you do much...go to Pool School in the upper right corner of this screen...go to school and learn BBB...I have done it for going on three years...and it is the simplest way to care for your pool...I spend about 5 minutes per day on and a half hour on the weekend...when I vacuume...That is it...and I don't spend hundreds of dollars each year...maybe $100 on chemicals...I use bleach...and then follow the BBB which is Bleach Borax and Baking Soda...That is really all you need.

Look for the pool calculator to help you know how much to add of each to get your pool in balance. Then keep it that way by following the pool school instructions.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN DO IS GET A TEST KIT that measures Free Chlorine (FC) Combined Chlorine (CC) and TOtal Chlorine (TC). Those are the numbers that are most important....

If you keep FC up and CCs down(less than .5 ppm) You'll be ok...Remember...POOL SCHOOL AND POP...Plenty of POP (Pool Owners Patience).

THis won't clear up over night but you will be able to clear it up and you won't spend a fortune...Take the time to read...it will save you time and money in the long run...

Thanks guys! I skimmed through the pool school last night and found some helpful info, but one question I still have is do I really need to worry about raising the calcium hardness since I have a vinyl lined pool? My understanding is that the calcium hardness level only comes into play if the pool is concrete, gunnite or tiled.

Thanks again!

No the CH is fine as is for Vinyl.

What's in the 4 bags of shock? IF it's Cal-hypo, that will up your CH level and it's fine to use, if you already have it. It costs more than using bleach so if you don't already have it, then just buy bleach.

If it's Dichlor shock, that will raise your CYA/Stabilizer levels, which you need to do anyway, so limited use for this purpose may be ok.

You have to use the pool calculator to determine how much to add, when to add it, and when to stop - because if you use too much dichlor you could raise your CYA level too high. Again, Dichlor is more expensive than bleach so if you haven't bought these bags, then just get bleach.

If it's any other kind of shock, (you can tell us the active ingredient on the label) don't use it.

Do you know how to use the pool calculator?

Edit: We can tell you how to add the stabilizer - if you go that route. Don't follow the instructions on the label.

The advice you've gotten above is great advice. All I'm going to add is, lean back from your computer, close your eyes, take a deep breath and say. These people are here to help me. I can do this. Now; go read this article, Turning Your Green Swamp Back Into a Sparkling Oasis. If you've already read it good for you. Now go read it again. Then come back and ask any more questions that you have. Oh, and Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Trust us...trust us...trust us....

that is all I can say...the pools store will just tell you to buy more expensive chemicals, and you don't need to do that. I was not convinced at first...I used to do bleach and then on Sunday evening I would throw in a bag of calhypo shock...I found...didn't need it...And won't go back to it either...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.