Plumbing my above ground pool

Mar 30, 2010
I now have almost all the components for my 27' AGP and I want to start ordering plumbing supplies. I have a 1.5hp 2 speed pump, 24" sand filter and a 25k aqua rite chlorine generator. I have already purchased the union fittings for the pump which convert to 1.5" slip joints. The chlorine generator and flow valve are 2" slip joints. What my plan is to is from the skimmer install a 1.5" threaded ball valve and barbed fitting to convert to flex pipe. From there I will install barb into the union on the pump intake. From there I will place a barb on the output of the pump, a length of 1.5" vinyl reinforced hose that will go to a 1.5" barb on the input of the sand filter. From the sand filter, I was going to install a length of 1.5" ridgid pipe, place a 90 elbow facing DOWN then place a 1.5 to 2" reducer and install the chlorine generator, after the generator plumb in the flow valve. from the output of the flow valve, install a 1.5" to 2" reducer and install a barb. Run flex pipe from the barb to a ball valve then back to the return on the pool.

Does this sound like the proper approach?
Will the chlorine generator and flow switch operate properly in the vertical position?
Is it bad practice to place a 90 degree elbow so close to the output of the sand filter?
The reason for installing the generator vertically is to make is less susceptible to being broken off.

I will eventually hard plumb the lines to and from the pool but I need to first build the deck. What is the best type and source for flexible hose to go to and from the pool?

200100414pump.jpg

200100414salt.jpg

I would read instruction book for salt generator. They should have plumbing dos/donts. Have to hard pipe flow switch and generator. If not installing ALOT of unnecessary fitting and pipe joints.
I see flex pipe on ABG pools all the time. Hard for the clamps to have enough strength to seal or stop leaks. They make ABG hoses in 3' or 6' rigid/flexible pipes. Teflon tape and/or silicone all barb fittings to pump and filter.
Hope this helps !

Mike, that is the problem, the manual is useless in that regard. It mentions how to place the flowmeter and cell around valves, but makes no mention of orientation. I am pretty sure the cell can be vertical since it is with the return jet mounted model. I am not sure about the flowmeter though since it is a mechanical device.

What are your thoughts on 90 degree bends right out of the filter?

I am going to use flexible pipe until I have my deck built and have the filter permanently settled, then I will hard plumb it.

Chris

You have to give yourself enough room out of the MPV before the 90( tank is in the way ), if you come straight down out of MPV you will hit the tank.
Place flow switch first out of MPV. I would not send chlorinated water directly thru flow switch.

RiverBrookPools said:
You have to give yourself enough room out of the MPV before the 90( tank is in the way ), if you come straight down out of MPV you will hit the tank.
Place flow switch first out of MPV. I would not send chlorinated water directly thru flow switch.

That is a good idea, I will keep the flow switch in the horizontal plane and then plumb 90 degrees down to the chlorine generator.

for my salt cell I used that heavy white "spa" hose..it actually slips inside the salt cell hole and then I installed fornex connectors over this joint (black rubber coupling with two clamps) this is what my plumber friend recommended because it makes a joint that can be easily disconnected from the salt cell for cleaning and/or replacement and also allows from some "give" and reduces vibration. SO Far it is working nicely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.