Solar cover and Reel for Above Ground with Deck surrounding

G

I am looking to buy a solar cover and reel within the next few days. I have looked around a several reels, mostly are for inground pools. Some of them mention they can be used with above ground with a deck, as long as the pool is oval. Mine is a 24' round pool. Is there a reason most of these will not work with my pool? Also, on taking the cover off, would it be best to roll it up from one end, or perhaps move the reel to the center and roll both side up a once, so to speak?

I am also leaning toward a lower profile type reel to perhaps take up less space. Some of them appear to be about 24" tall. One I had looked at is only around 12" tall. Does it make sense to go with the lower profile? Any drawbacks from this, other than perhaps more back problems?

Hoping to get this ordered soon so I can get the two grandsons that live with us in the pool. They have wanted in all Winter because the pool looked so clean. Hard to convince a 6 year old that it is just too cold.

Thanks for any help or insight on this.
Edd

I have a 24' round pool and have this Above Ground Reel and a 12 mil clear cover. I bought a 28' reel because I figured it would be better if the tubes extended inside each other more and when I finish the deck all the way around the pool It'll be long enough to secure to the deck.

I wish the reel was a bit heavier duty but so far it's worked great. It reels the 12 mil cover up without a problem and it's light enough that I can carry cover and reel if I have to.

So, do you leave, or plan to leave the solar cover/reel on the deck at all times? I was looking at one with rollers, particularly so I could move out of the way when necessary. I suppose with the one like you have, you can roll it up and swing to one side when you are swimming? Does that work out well?

Chances are my wife will be taking this off the pool more than I will because she will be home with the grandkids earlier than I. I need something that she can handle, with the possible help of a 9 and 7 year old.

We just installed the pool last July and it was a strange Summer to say the least. Not sure how long I may need to use the solar cover before it gets too hot during a normal Atlanta Summer. Maybe I will find out this year.

Thanks for the info.

During the times of use it's left on the deck all the time and just swing one end out of the way. It works well like this. later this summer when the temps get up I plan on storing reel and cover in the shop. I have a place along one wall I can hang it so it'll be out of the elements. I'm hoping that it'll last longer that way.

I believe she could handle it. Our 8 year old GS can lift one end with the cover rolled on it. My DW and DD have no problem taking it off or putting it on the pool completely rolled up. It takes two people to completely remove or install it but one person can easily roll it up and swing one end out of the way.

I figure by the end of this month (April) or the first of May we won't need it anymore till probably September or October.

My pool is oval. I bought a reel (aluminum tubes) intended for an IGP, with large wheels on one end. Since mine is oval I just leave the reel on one end, near the fence.
Mine is 17+ wide and I'm happy I just have to push it back a few feet (I reel/unreel with it a few feet over one end so the cover doesn't snag the ends of deck boards). Scroll down a few pictures I posted in this thread:

done-agp-deck-solar-t17243.html

With a round pool it works
better to reel from the middle (otherwise the outermost straps from the reel to the cover are much too long), so you really want one that is easy to move. 27+ feet of reel is pretty unwieldy for daily moves. If you have wheels on both ends and want to push it to one end you'll need two people. If you have wheels on one end you can swing it with one person.

Hubby & I are currently attempting to build our own solar roller... Wish us luck. We have a round too, and with our decking just couldn't figure out how to handle a regular roller. We will be cutting our cover in half so I can handle it when Hubby isn't home ... Hope it works!

Suziqzer said:
Hubby & I are currently attempting to build our own solar roller... Wish us luck. We have a round too, and with our decking just couldn't figure out how to handle a regular roller. We will be cutting our cover in half so I can handle it when Hubby isn't home ... Hope it works!

This is what I did for my 18' pool, my first attempt was 1" pvc over electrical conduit for strength. I made a handle with the fittings, and added some sticky (the stuff you put under rugs) to help grab it. It worked well for 3 seasons.

I'm building a Rev 2 version this year, probably 2-2 1/2" PVC, schedule 40 for rigidity. Add the "strings" with alligator clips, and you're good. You can set 2 4x4" posts in the ground on the outside of the pool on one end, and extend the strings long enough to reach the cover with some slack. Easy and cheap, all things included, probably less than $20.

For round pools, you have 2 options, either get the reel as wide as the pool, or fold the ends before rolling it in (you have to be careful not to roll it up too tight and pop the bubbles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.