My water is green, is this algae?

Oct 1, 2007
Lafayette, La
Topic Split off by Moderator :wink:

Is it possible for a large amt of yellow pollen can give a green color to the water? When I test my TC is 3.5 my CC is 0 . My CYA is 50 and my ph is 7.8. I did add some muriatic acid this am to lower ph. I am just wondering if this is algae or pollen ( we have a huge oak tree by the pool which puts out lg amt of pollen. Cant hand anything outside without yellow on it later in day)

TC?

What are you testing with? Is your free chlorine holding overnight? This is how you rule out organics/algae as the source.

Refer to the CYA chart...
3.5 - if it's Free Chlorine (TC doesn't tell us enough) is too low for your CYA level. :)

It could be pollen, but as FPM said, the way to tell is by doing an overnight FC loss test.

After the sun goes down, measure your FC. Then, when you get up in the morning, before any sun hits the water, check your FC again. If you have lost more than 0.5 ppm of your FC, you probably have algae and need to shock your pool.

There may be times during the day when pool water appears to have a green tinge as the result of leaves reflecting on the surface if you have trees nearby, and you did say you have a big oak tree. Is it in leaf yet?

Well I did the overnite test and it is algae so I shocked to 20 this am -of course had to leave town so did not follow up hourly- got back this evening and FC was 8.5 CC was o. So hit it with more bleach adjusted my ph back to 7.2 I will let the pump run all night again and see what it is like in am. Water is barely cloudy ( as I have had in prior seasons) Just some green staining on sides of pool and steps which I brushed off this evening. Water is just not sparkling. Tomorrow is another day- Thanks again for the help

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.