Rinsing Cartridge Filter?

smc

Oct 3, 2009
Tucson, Arizona
I must waste 10-15 gallons every time I spray my filter. I let the water run into my compost heap, but is there a better way that uses less water? I know they sell filter genie type ends for use in California, but I think I would still use the same amount of water to get the filter clean.

(Somebody suggested to me that I throw the filter in the pool and let it soak for a few hours. :hammer: )

How often are you cleaning the filter? If you are cleaning it fairly often it is probably too small for your pool. I clean mine maybe twice a year.

I use one of those high pressure fittings for my garden hose. It's not "pressure-washer-strong", but good enough to make quick sweeps through the grids to clear the dirt and debris. At this point, I have it down to a science and can clean my filter in probably less than 5 gallons of water.

Frequency depends on how much dirt and debris gets blown into the pool. Sometimes once a month, sometimes every week, sometimes every two months. I think this is (mostly) the original setup from 1976. If I had a block wall I'm sure it wouldn't need so much cleaning, but I'd still have tiny leaves gettin' in there past the skimmer basket and the filter basket. I need to try filter socks and see how much I replace them...cheaper than a $95/year cartridge?

I think I exaggerated the wasted H2O, but any way to save/reuse is great by me.

You do not have to replace your cartridge every year. They should last several years with proper care and cleaning. Instructions are here.

For skimmer socks - I purchased cheap ladies knee high nylon stockings - 10 pairs for $2. It def helps keep tons of crud from going to the cart. You can hose those off quick or just toss them, up to you, depending on the amount of crud you get you should change them daily to every other day or so. During peak pollen time I rinse mine out daily. So much easier than having to clean the cart completely. :wink:

From what I read, it seems that you have one filter cartridge that has 200sf of filter area for a 25-30K gallon pool. If this is true, sounds like you are under filtered. Our 20K gallon pool has 4 200sf cartridges. May be time to upgrade.

200 sqft is commonly sold for a pool that size and it will work, but it does take more attention than if you have an oversize filter. We always recommend getting an oversized filter, so I would recommend a larger filter, but there is nothing "wrong" with a 200 sqft filter for a pool that size.

Now that I think about it, this cartridge is over 2 years old - time goes by fast these days. It still looks new, and the only reasons I threw the other one out were because the bands were gone and the previous owner told me it was past time to change it.

Still learning. I've also been told that my pump is too small and it'll burn up. Still going and it seems to be doing its job, although it's a bit louder than I'd like. I've read most of the tutorials on here and they are excellent! The size of the pool may be off, but that is what I got from the calculator and the previous owner said that was right, and they don't build residential pools this big around here anymore!

(And yes, I still have a pool service *booooo!* only because it's cheaper than buying BBB at the store now. And I don't want to put a hard-working American out of a job.)

frustratedpoolmom said:
We don't 'booo' folks who can afford a pool service. If u can swing it then by all means :) LOL

If we ever use a pool service, (not very likely) I would certainly test the water to make sure the service is doing it's job. It is very possible to have a pool look good and have the chemistry way off. JMHO

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JasonLion said:
200 sqft is commonly sold for a pool that size and it will work, but it does take more attention than if you have an oversize filter. We always recommend getting an oversized filter, so I would recommend a larger filter, but there is nothing "wrong" with a 200 sqft filter for a pool that size.

I sit corrected :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.