Tool for stuck PVC valves?

denisbaldwin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2010
I have a number of the little red PVC valves throughout my pump setup to control the skimmer, main drain, intake for the vacuum, etc.etc.

611918009049.jpg

With the pump off, they're still a pain to move with bare hands. Upgrading to a wrench, I've managed to sheer the wings right off from one of them. Is there a tool specifically used to gain leverage on stuck PVC valves? As they are plastic, I'm hesitant to use anything heavy duty (again) but would like something dependable I can always count on.

If only there were PVC valves with long handles like the jandy valves but not ridiculously expensive.

Denis

That is the #1 reason why I hate ball valve. #2 is they will leak over some time. Pop the remaining piece of red handle off and use an adjustable wrench. The three way valves in the pictorial glossary also come in a 2 port version. Much more reliable and somewhat more costly, but unless you have additional changes, it's a 1 time fix. If they ever leak, you can replace the guts. No plumbing changes needed.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.