Requirements for Solar

Jul 2, 2009
I'd like to put in Solar heating sometime and think I have the roof space for it, but the back side of my house is the north side. So you really need the panels facing south for them to work well?

Unless you live in the Southern Hemisphere, in which case it's the other way around. I remember staying in a B and B in New Zealand that had been built by European immigrants about a century ago. They had put in all these big windows on the south to catch the sun. Didn't work out so well.

Malcolm said:
Unless you live in the Southern Hemisphere, in which case it's the other way around. I remember staying in a B and B in New Zealand that had been built by European immigrants about a century ago. They had put in all these big windows on the south to catch the sun. Didn't work out so well.
Is that a joke? It seems like they would have figured out which way the sun was shining by the time the got the place built. :hammer:

lborne said:
Yes. Most solar installers will tell you not to put panels on the North facing roof. Its just a waste of money.

It won't help on the edges of the season, but during the peak of the summer, the north face of my roof is more directly aligned with the sun than the south face. Depending on where you live, due to magnetic declination, North can be almost "Northwest", which gets some sun in the afternoon and evening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.