Rebuilt pump motor - good idea or waste of money?

Jerry

Aug 10, 2009
New Orleans
My Hayward pump motor is making a whining noise that sounds like a clicking of something stuck in a fan when it's turned off.

The pump is 5 years old and the pump part is fine.
Any opinions on repairing the motor or replacing with a rebuilt one (about $100 compared to $3-400 for a new pump)

I gave up on rebuilt pump motors under 3-HP. a new motor and seal set is still substantially less than a full pump but the reliability of a new motor vs. a rebuilt motor has been a better bang for the buck on the new motor side.

Industrial motors tend to be larger and designed for being rebuilt. Pool pump motors tend to be built as cheaply as possible. That usually means they aren't designed for, though they can be, rebuilt.

Scott

I think it's bearings but the clicking sound it makes as the shaft slows to a stop seems like something else....bearings usually make a grinding sound.
My problem is I have little time or money...repairing my motor could take a few days (I can't get a match on bearings without removing them) and its getting warmer.
I'm thinking of getting a less expensive(Champion?) pump and repairing the Hayward when I can to keep as a backup...

Clicking when it slows down sounds like the centrifugal switch (if it has one) is sticking slightly. That's a cheap fix, whether you DIY or take it to a motor shop. The trouble may be finding one for your motor.

My personal opinion is, unless the windings are toast, rebuild it. A good motor shop will replace everything besides the windings, so you basically have a new motor. Considering the cost of a new one, it can be well worth it. Down here where I live, you can find a good shop to rebuild it for less than $100, so unless you can find a new motor for not much more, that's the way I'd go.

However, if you plan on doing it yourself, and don't know exactly what the problem is, find a shop to do it or get a new one. There's not a lot to a pump motor, but if you really don't know what you're doing, you could end up spending money on parts, then messing it up more, and still having to buy a new motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.