Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rebuilt pump motor - good idea or waste of money?

1. Back To Top    #1

Rebuilt pump motor - good idea or waste of money?

My Hayward pump motor is making a whining noise that sounds like a clicking of something stuck in a fan when it's turned off.

The pump is 5 years old and the pump part is fine.
    Any opinions on repairing the motor or replacing with a rebuilt one (about $100 compared to $3-400 for a new pump)
    10,000 Gal. Inground Plaster Lap Pool
    Sand Filter
    New Orleans, LA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rebuilt pump motor - good idea or waste of money?

Most industrial operations use rebuilt motors all the time. A good motor shop can make them pretty well as good as new.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I gave up on rebuilt pump motors under 3-HP. a new motor and seal set is still substantially less than a full pump but the reliability of a new motor vs. a rebuilt motor has been a better bang for the buck on the new motor side.

Industrial motors tend to be larger and designed for being rebuilt. Pool pump motors tend to be built as cheaply as possible. That usually means they aren't designed for, though they can be, rebuilt.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

If it's just bearings, that's a simple and inexpensive fix and well worth the time and trouble. If it's more than that I agree with Scott, it's better to go with a new motor.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I think it's bearings but the clicking sound it makes as the shaft slows to a stop seems like something else....bearings usually make a grinding sound.
    My problem is I have little time or money...repairing my motor could take a few days (I can't get a match on bearings without removing them) and its getting warmer.
    I'm thinking of getting a less expensive(Champion?) pump and repairing the Hayward when I can to keep as a backup...
    Sand Filter
    New Orleans, LA

6. Back To Top    #6

Clicking when it slows down sounds like the centrifugal switch (if it has one) is sticking slightly. That's a cheap fix, whether you DIY or take it to a motor shop. The trouble may be finding one for your motor.

My personal opinion is, unless the windings are toast, rebuild it. A good motor shop will replace everything besides the windings, so you basically have a new motor. Considering the cost of a new one, it can be well worth it. Down here where I live, you can find a good shop to rebuild it for less than $100, so unless you can find a new motor for not much more, that's the way I'd go.

However, if you plan on doing it yourself, and don't know exactly what the problem is, find a shop to do it or get a new one. There's not a lot to a pump motor, but if you really don't know what you're doing, you could end up spending money on parts, then messing it up more, and still having to buy a new motor.
    John

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15
    TF-100 (found at TF Test Kits) with Speedstir and Samplesizer

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone....I bit the bullit and bought a new Hayward 1 HP online for $264 total with shipping....I hope it gets here by Saturday.
    Sand Filter
    New Orleans, LA