SM1915SHG sand filter problem

Apr 13, 2010
I have the SM1915SHG sand filter on my above ground pool. this year i added a salt chlorinator. I came home from work yesterday to find that my sand filter had sucked it self in (big dents all the way around it, as if the pump is to strong and sucked it in). I am using the same pump i have been using for about 4 years now (hayward 1.5hp that came with the pool). What would cause my sand filter to do this and what should i do to resolve the issue?

Re: Hayward psi pressure Sand filter

FLEXWKU said:
I have the SM1915SHG sand filter on my above ground pool. this year i added a salt chlorinator. I came home from work yesterday to find that my sand filter had sucked it self in (big dents all the way around it, as if the pump is to strong and sucked it in). I am using the same pump i have been using for about 4 years now (hayward 1.5hp that came with the pool). What would cause my sand filter to do this and what should i do to resolve the issue?

Welcome to TFP!

The only likely cause is that you have the inlet and outlet on the pump reversed. In normal operation, the filter is under pressure, and a pump that is too large would cause the filter to crack, or in an extrme case, explode. Only a filter connected to the pump inlet port could cause the situation you have.

Take some photos and post them. Like John said, it certainly sounds like the filter is on the suction of the pump and the skimmer or suction piping plugged causing the pump to create a vacuum sucking the sides in. Filter vessels are designed to run under pressure not vacuum. They should always be plumbed on the discharge side of the pump.

okay so on my lunch break i went back to look at it. So you were correct that the hoses were connected improperly. apparently i got caught up in getting the length of hoses correct because of the new salt chlorinator so that everything would reach, and forgot about direction. the sand filter walls blew back out to normal, and all appears be functioning properly.
thank you for your help.

FLEXWKU said:
okay so on my lunch break i went back to look at it. So you were correct that the hoses were connected improperly. apparently i got caught up in getting the length of hoses correct because of the new salt chlorinator so that everything would reach, and forgot about direction. the sand filter walls blew back out to normal, and all appears be functioning properly.
thank you for your help.

Glad we could help!

Salt Chlorinator = High Blood Pressure???

i was told today that having a salt chlorinator can cause high blood pressure...could this be a true statement, or what. has anyone heard this to be a fact rather than a thought of 'it could happen'?

Re: Salt Chlorinator = High Blood Pressure???

FLEXWKU said:
i was told today that having a salt chlorinator can cause high blood pressure...could this be a true statement, or what.
Nope, totally made up, not possible. If anything, it will lower your blood pressure because it saves you so much work (though presumably not enough to be measurable).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
sorry i didn't see that post until after i got back from fixing... the ball portion had three caved in spots around it, making it look as if you had a ball in your had and held it tightly with three fingers. if that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.