Relatively new to this [extremely valuable] forum and in the process of contemplating pool bids. As we plan, I am wondering if there are any areas we should consider improving/upgrading based on your collective experiences? Kind of answering the questions, "If I had to do it again, I would ______ ", or "I would definitely have asked my pool builder ____".
We believe the final pool size will be in the 20k range and located in Dallas, TX. 95-100 degrees regular in July - August. No spa included (so far). Current bids are exclusively Gunite, 2" pipe, 2HP Pump, DE Filter and SWG. Only a couple in-pool lights are included in the bids we've received. Sealed sandstone coping & raised beam with an integrated, sealed rock waterfall. Equipment is Hayward or Jandy.
I am thinking about things you would plan differently like:
- Fiberglass vs. Gunite w./ PebbleTec (does the TX heat matter? are the fiberglass claims on lower maintenance true?)
- Plumbing (2" or 2.5")
- 2-speed or Variable Speed Pump
- Pool covers (automated)
- Lighting (LED, or suggestions on this)
- 2HP or 2.5HP Pump (based on other threads, seems like the 2 is more than adequate)
- Added drains (or other things you would have done to improve pool circulation)
- In-pool cleaning (none of the pool companies have been crazy about these)
- Anything else?
Just trying to gather and make the most informed choices based on real-world experiences.
Thanks again for your time,