Air in System

botanica37

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 3, 2009
Oakton, VA
Not sure if I should start a new post or jump in this one
If you are not sure, then please start a new topic! Thanks JasonLion

I have the same situation as Maxomom, air bubbles in the pump basket. In the mornings after the pump has been off, the water is at the same level. I can't find any leak, so I am not sure where the air is getting in. Is it possible that this is a sign of the pump dying? There were 2-3 occassions in the past couple of days when for no apparent reason the pump basket suddenly would be only half full of water and after turning the pump on and off couple of times, the problem would somewhat correct itself.

This is not a sign of pump problems. Air in the pump basket means that air is getting into the suction side of the plumbing. That could be the water level being too low so the skimmer lets air in, or a loose or improperly sealed pump strainer basket lid that is letting air in, or a suction side plumbing leak.

Just to add to Jason's suggestions, I had a bad seal on my pump basket (not in the lid) that was causing this last season - it was more easily traced by checking if water "spits" out from anywhere the moment you turn off your pump.

I opened my pool Saturday, and had been seeing some bubbles on and off. Turned out it was a loose union valve on the drain line. Year before last it was a bad O-ring on the pump basket drain plug. Any source of air will do it, as will a restriction of skimmer weir action.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.