First time opening above ground pool since Baqua conversion

May 12, 2009
Ok guys so I have some questions for you. Since my baqua conversion last summer this will be my first time opening with the BBB method. I have read pool school/how to open you pool section but still need some clarification and answers. So here they go :lol:

1. Once I get everything hooked up and raise my water level to mid skimmer level should I let the pump run a couple of hours then test my levels? or should I test as soon as I get it filled to mid skimmer?

2. Okay so then I can test TA, PH, and CYA, I will record my results and adjust as needed, do I need to go ahead and add my CYA and then get my chlorine to the right level? This is the part that I am confused about.
I am not sure if I should shock until the chlorine holds steady for an over night test like I did when I closed it, or if I should add my CYA and then does Chlorine to recommended levels? Not sure here???

3. I haven't taken the cover off yet because I don't have my CYA, could I go ahead and get everything running and tested and then do the CYA tomorrow?
4. Does TA, PH need to be adjusted before adding the CYA?

Sorry for all the questions, just a newbie and ONLY trust you guys!

Things will be better this year now that you have the baquacil situation behind you. :)

Go ahead and top the pool off with water and get things pumping and circulating. After an hour or so, run your tests and let us know what you have and we will go from there.

Knowing what numbers to treat first kinda depends on what your numbers are. We won't know if you need to shock or not until we know your FC and CC and we won't know what your FC needs to be until we know your CYA.

pH should generally be corrected before shocking because once you shock, the results of your pH test could be falsely high. Just let us what your numbers are and we will get you going. :goodjob:

You can take the cover off now if you want, or wait. If there isn't any CYA in the water you should add 2 ppm of chlorine each evening after sunset.

Don't test the water until the pump has been running for a couple of hours.

In most cases CYA can be added at any time, separately from what is going on with PH, TA, etc. Depending on how you add the CYA, you may not want to backwash the filter for a week after adding CYA.

I opened my pool and still had a FC level of 4.5 from last October. So you may not need to shock - it depends on your water conditions and your test results. Once you test and things are running, you can see if the FC is holding to determine if you need to shock or not.

Ok guys I pulled my winter cover off and my water was crystal clear, got the pump hooked up and the water filled and it has been circulating for about 4 hours. I just did my first water chemistry test of the season. Here are my results however I do have some questions.

FC 1
CC 0
TA 110
PH 7.3
CYA at 10 (test is still new to me)

water temperature 62

Okay so here are my questions---???

What do I need to do? shock? add CYA? adjust PH or TA? or just add Chlorine and get it to correct levels?

With that being said should I go ahead and vacuum first and backwash then add the CYA tonight via sock in skimmer to dissolve?

PH and TA are fine for now.
Did you allow the CYA test to come to room temp before performing it? Its temp sensitive and the cold water may be affecting the result.
Here is a link that may help you performing the test:
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/ChemistryTopicsCM.ASP?ContentID=44

Try the CYA test again, go ahead and add enough chlorine to reach 5ppm tonight, and then do an overnight test, to see if the FC is holding overnight. IF it is, you don't need to shock.

Oh rats I probably have enough agent to do 1 more CYA test. I will let it get to room temperature and then re-test later tonight. My husband is vacuuming right now we had a few pieces of debris at the bottom but nothing major. I will do the overnight test tonight and recheck again in the morning. If it drops to below 5ppm I need to keep shocking until it holds right? then I can let the FC drift to 3ppm and hold it steady for the summer right?

Also once I get the CYA reading again at room temperature when would you say I need to add it tomorrow morning after my overnight test?

You can add the CYA (if you need to add) anytime, you can wait till morning, whichever.

Yes, if you lose more than 1ppm overnight you'll need to shock.

As for a FC of 3, that depends on your CYA level - remember your "targets" and "min" levels - refer to the chart. :)

Okay just re-tested my CYA after letting water sample get to room temperature. It was at 20 for sure this time.
I went ahead and added more liquid bleach to get to 5ppm so I will check in the morning to see if it held...sure hope so :). Would you recommend going ahead and added my CYA tomorrow morning as well?

What would say I should bring my CYA up to 40 since the chart for recommened ranges is between 30-50?

The only thing a purchased today at the pool store was "Stablizer and Conditioner by Pool Life" the package says to add directly to the skimmer and allow filter to runfor 48 hours...however should I just put the required amount into a sock and let float in front of skimmer?

Also if I am currently at 20ppm of CYA and I want to raise my CYA the container states the following measurements

10,000 gallons 10 ppm/1lb 20 ppm/2lb 30ppm/3lbs 40ppm/4 pounds
20,000 gallons 10ppm/2 lbs 20pppm/4lbs 30 ppm/5lbs 40ppm/7pounds

Since I am only 10,000 gallons how do I got about the dosage...? Do I start at 20ppm since it is the current reading and then add 20ppm/2lbs to create a total CYA of 40ppm? Or do I follow the 40ppm/4lbs dosage? YIKES I need some guidance on this :roll:

bearclaw20 said:
Also if I am currently at 20ppm of CYA and I want to raise my CYA the container states the following measurements

10,000 gallons 10 ppm/1lb 20 ppm/2lb 30ppm/3lbs 40ppm/4 pounds
20,000 gallons 10ppm/2 lbs 20pppm/4lbs 30 ppm/5lbs 40ppm/7pounds

Since I am only 10,000 gallons how do I got about the dosage...? Do I start at 20ppm since it is the current reading and then add 20ppm/2lbs to create a total CYA of 40ppm? Or do I follow the 40ppm/4lbs dosage? YIKES I need some guidance on this :roll:
You want to ADD 20 ppm, so you will ADD 2 lb. CYA

Relax, it's still too cold to swim. You have plenty of time to get things in shape.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You're doing fine - it can be confusing/overwhelming, I know- but you'll get the hang of it :)

Add 2 lbs to the sock, put a knot at the top and then use string to tie it off in front of the return, OR set it to the side in the skimmer, so the water still flows and its not blocked. Leave the pump running until it's all dissolved. Then wait 5-7 days to retest for it, but assume your CYA is 40 during that time and increase your FC level according to the CYA chart. Does that make sense? :)

Ok so here is an update....
Did my overnight test last night at it held at 5, just checked FC they were down to 3, which isn't bad considering my CYA was at 20ppm and I just added more tonight. my CC was .5 so I am assuming that is good as well. I will let my CYA dissolved and re-test next week. Went ahead and ordered some more supplies for my TF test kit from last year. can't wait to get them :)

Few more quick questions-
1.It is still a little cool here in East TN so can I keep my solar cover on for extended periods say Mon-Friday and then take of on weekends? If so how often do I need to do chemical checks? Will it harm my clear water, etc?

2.I still have some Algaecide left from my baquacil days last season, it is baquacil brand, should I add some of it or just forget it since I don't usually have algae problems?

3. I read that CYA will lower PH should I be concerned with my PH levels. I saw on the pool calculator that the about of CYA I added would lower my PH by .44 just worried my PH will get too low?

Thanks Guys in advance
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't use the algaecide. You don't need it.

Test the PH and FC daily and adjust if necessary. Sometimes keeping the solar cover on can make the PH slowly drop. I keep mine on whenever it's not in use, so you should be fine, but you should still check those two levels each day. :)

Ok that makes sense on the Algaecide
Should I worry about the CYA lowering my PH ? I haven't had to adjust PH at all will it be complicated should I get it to more of a 7.5 range? and how did my TA look?

Ok guys, so this is a couple days into opening my pool. I have added my CYA and been keeping an eye on things...water looks great very clear and has sparkle . I wanted to post some new readings and see what you guys think.

FC 3 (fixing to give my nightly dose)
CC 0
TA 110
PH 7.6

Ok guys need your help again,
Just checked CYA after a week and my results since adding first dose at opening is 30, do I need to top up to 40 or is 30 okay?
Also TA went down to 90 and PH is still at 7.6

How are things looking and what should I do about CYA?

That all sounds good.

On CYA, there isn't any rush, but it is a good idea to put CYA up towards the top of the range, ie up to 50. Over the course of the season it will tend to drift down very slowly. By putting it up towards 50 now you can expect that it will not go below 30 before the end of the season.

Congratulations on your first BBB opening :goodjob:

Your #'s look good (esp after you add the CYA Jason mentioned :wink: ) and your pool water is clear and has a sparkle!

You are going to love your new BBB maintained pool this summer. We would like to see a pic of this pool when you get some time :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.