What pool pump would you recommend?

cherylandco

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2009
We have an aboveground 21x41 foot pool. I guess I'm going to replace the hayward Swim Pro 2HP pump with a new one with 2 speeds so I can set it on low sometimes.

What pump would you recommend? I can't seem to find many 2HP for aboveground (and even fewer with 2 speeds!).

Thanks!!! :goodjob:

With an AG pool, I would go with the smallest pump that would still deliver an 8 hour turnover (50 GPM). The Pentair Dynamo 3/4 HP 2 speed (DYNII-N2-3/4 HP) should do the trick and is pretty efficient too. There are probably others that would work just as well too.

mas985 said:
With an AG pool, I would go with the smallest pump that would still deliver an 8 hour turnover (50 GPM). The Pentair Dynamo 3/4 HP 2 speed (DYNII-N2-3/4 HP) should do the trick and is pretty efficient too. There are probably others that would work just as well too.

I don't think I want to go smaller - with 40 feet of pool length, the water at the north end is already pretty stagnant. I don't think that a smaller pump would help that situation - right?!

That is probably not a pump issue but a return issue. You may not have enough returns and/or they may not be pointed in the correct directions. Also, I bet the 3/4 HP Dynamo puts out close to the same flow rate as your pump now but without a head curve, it is hard to know. There is also a 1 HP Dynamo that puts out a little more flow. What is your current filter pressure?

Another option if your current pump is in decent condition, is to replace just the motor with a two speed motor.

mas985 said:
That is probably not a pump issue but a return issue. You may not have enough returns and/or they may not be pointed in the correct directions. Also, I bet the 3/4 HP Dynamo puts out close to the same flow rate as your pump now but without a head curve, it is hard to know. There is also a 1 HP Dynamo that puts out a little more flow. What is your current filter pressure?

Another option if your current pump is in decent condition, is to replace just the motor with a two speed motor.

Well - I know that we need another return, but it will cost $500-600 to get one put in - and that's just not going to happen unfortunately.

I currently have a 2HP, but something (a fan blade maybe?) broke off over the summer last year and my dad fixed it, but now that I've been thinking about it, I think that's our problem. I don't think the pump works as well or efficiently, and I actually think it burns up more electricity - I was looking at our power bills from last year. June was our hottest month, but it was the lowest power bill. July and August and Sept were cool (so we weren't running the air), and the power bill was insane - for us. I'm just wondering if it doesn't have something to do with the pump (it broke in mid July). AND, ever since then, I've had a hard time keeping the pool clean - before that, it was SPARKLING - after that, I was fighting algae.

Wanting to lower my electrical bill I started studying "variable speed" lititures from Hayward and Pentair and what the California "Title 20" is about and 2 speed pumps and hydrolic dynamics and so on. What I found is you can lower your flow and electric bill by using a smaller pump and up your run time. this will still turn your pool the same number of times per day as now (if you calculate the pump run time correctly) BUT because I have lowered the total head by cutting the flow in half this also cuts the resistance in the pipes by 4. Pretty cool, so I did alot of digging after see the variable speed pumps are $1000-$1500 and the 2speeds were only 150 bucks cheaper, and a name brand 1 hp pump would be at least $400 bucks
Hmmm i have a pentair whisper flow WF-6 1.5HP Service factor is 1.3 something that takes 22 amps to run and needs to run 3 hrs to turn my pool over. So i dug for a deal on a good pump, THis is what I found any bought >> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT
from ebay, it can also be seen/bought here>> http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Tools-Water ... B002GQ9962
at amazon. Or here at Tool Planet>> http://www.toolplanet.com/product/Neiko ... 7A/outdoor
It is a Neiko Tools USA 1 HP Pool Pump with strainer basket and boy am I happy with it I paid 109.99 plus FREE shipping, I paid for it at 4pm and it was delivered the next day :shock: :whoot: and this things worth every penny. Its quiet, only Half as loud as my whisperflow and the current draw is less than half my old pump. It WILL prime from empty return pipes just fill the basket with water. here are the specs:
•120V/60Hz, 6.2A
•Inlet & Outlet Thread: 1-1/2"
•Liquid Temperature: 140 Degrees
•1 HP Motor, 3450 rpm
•3960 GPH Capacity
•Corrosion resistant housing
•Clear filter cover lets you see when full
•Max Flow: 220 liters/min. = 58 gallon per min.
Max Head height: 16m = 52ft.
Max suction L. 9m = 29ft.
•Built in strainer filter
•Thermal overload protection
Drainplug
Rear high flow fan to activly cool heat sinks
•6 ft. Cord

If you want a great pump on a budget this is it. Unfortunatly ther is no flow curve chart printed in the specs. If I can calculate them I will publish them. I will be posting my pics of my project that is currently underway shortly. Basically I plumbed the new pump in parralel with the old one and added ball valves to each pumps output, a switch controls which pump gets power from the timer. The Neiko is used for daily filtration, the whisperflow just for manual cleaning because of its extra grunt. I just open the appropiate valve for the pump I wish to use. I'm also adding check valves that the Pool Builder skipped! because my equip. slab is at least 50ft from the 32x17ft. IG pool and elevated 6 ft. above the water line.

Attachments

• Neiko Tools 1HP Pool Pump.jpg
    Neiko Tools 1HP Pool Pump.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 162

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.