I have No Suction Diverter

Apr 12, 2010
I only have one pipe coming out of the ground. That pipe goes into my pump, to the filter, and back out. Is it common for pools not to have a diverter to control suction. I'm asking because ive read that suction should normally be set at 80% for the skimmer and the other 20% for the main drain. I guess in my case, it is 50/50. Is this something I should take care of. Question for any pool installers or knowledgeable homeowners. Where do installers normally tee the main drain and skimmer in situations like this. I'm asking because i'm a plumber and would like to install a diverter if they are commonly tee'd close to the surface. I don't want to start digging though till I find out. Or... is digging the only way to find out? Thanks for any replies

Normally, the diverter is part of the skimmer and if the main drain is plumbed through the skimmer, which is common, then you can control the flow between the skimmer and main drain via the diverter in the skimmer. However, I wouldn't use a diverter unless you need more suction for a vacuum. By closing off the flow from either the skimmer or main drain, you would be reducing the overall flow in the plumbing. I think you are better off without a diverter unless it is needed for other reasons.

The better way to plumb a main drain is to have separate lines all the way to the pad and have a valve there to control the flow between the skimmer and drains. However, even for this case, I would normally set the valves to 100% for all lines.

FWIW, I have separate lines to my pump from my main drain ports and my skimmers, and I can divert suction between skimmers, and between the skimmers and the main drain.

To be honest, I really only use this to increase suction when I'm vacuuming using the skimmers - I suppose I should partially close the main drain line to get more from the skimmers but I've never done that before.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.