Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: I have No Suction Diverter

  1. Back To Top    #1

    I have No Suction Diverter

    I only have one pipe coming out of the ground. That pipe goes into my pump, to the filter, and back out. Is it common for pools not to have a diverter to control suction. I'm asking because ive read that suction should normally be set at 80% for the skimmer and the other 20% for the main drain. I guess in my case, it is 50/50. Is this something I should take care of. Question for any pool installers or knowledgeable homeowners. Where do installers normally tee the main drain and skimmer in situations like this. I'm asking because i'm a plumber and would like to install a diverter if they are commonly tee'd close to the surface. I don't want to start digging though till I find out. Or... is digging the only way to find out? Thanks for any replies

  2. Back To Top    #2
    mas985's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    9,918

    Re: I have No Suction Diverter

    Normally, the diverter is part of the skimmer and if the main drain is plumbed through the skimmer, which is common, then you can control the flow between the skimmer and main drain via the diverter in the skimmer. However, I wouldn't use a diverter unless you need more suction for a vacuum. By closing off the flow from either the skimmer or main drain, you would be reducing the overall flow in the plumbing. I think you are better off without a diverter unless it is needed for other reasons.

    The better way to plumb a main drain is to have separate lines all the way to the pad and have a valve there to control the flow between the skimmer and drains. However, even for this case, I would normally set the valves to 100% for all lines.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Toms River, NJ
    Posts
    151

    Re: I have No Suction Diverter

    FWIW, I have separate lines to my pump from my main drain ports and my skimmers, and I can divert suction between skimmers, and between the skimmers and the main drain.

    To be honest, I really only use this to increase suction when I'm vacuuming using the skimmers - I suppose I should partially close the main drain line to get more from the skimmers but I've never done that before.
    45,180 gallon 26' x 53' IG Vinyl, irregular shape. Hayward sand filter / pump. Polaris AutoClear SWG, supplemented with a Hayward Automatic Chlorinator (In-Line). Hayward 400K BTU heater. Paramount "turnover" system. Polaris 480 PRO cleaner.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •