Reducing Electric Consumption (Pump Suggestions)

Sabot

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
Once again as spring is upon us, I decided to look into a more efficient pump. I have tried various settings which yield some savings. I replaced one of the biggest energy hogs (an old AC unit) at the end of summer. I have had my eye on a Pentair variable pump for the last two years but I wanted to throw out here if anyone has come across a better pump? I wish there was a solar pump out there which would have a decent ROI.

My plumbing has been setup to run two pumps (one for water feature and one for filtration) and a third pump for the cleaner. I would move the current pump to the water features since its only used when we have guests. I do have my solar panels on two roof lines (Patio and Main Roof) so I need a pump to push water up as well as out. The solar panels get a lot of use, for I use them at night during the dog days of summer to cool the pool.

Any suggestions? (See my signature for my specs)

DSC01883.jpg

DSC01072.jpg

First, how high are the panels above the pump?
Will your current controller, if you have one, handle the Intelliflo and/or a two speed pump?

The Intelliflo is an energy efficient solution although it may not always be the most cost effective. It depends on if you have a controller that would support multiple speeds. If not, you may need to factor in the cost of that as well or change speed manually. The nice thing about the Intelliflo is that you can set the optimum speed for solar while saving as much energy as possible.

The cheapest solution would be to swap the motor with a 2 speed although you would not be able to run on low speed when using solar. In addition, a dual timer can be used instead of a controller for a two speed.

If you are looking to downsize the full speed as well, that will depend upon how high the panels are relative to the pump. If under 30', a 3/4 HP pump can actually work fine for solar but may not work so well for solar and water features at the same time. But if you move the 2 Hp to just the water features, that should work fine. You could even go for a 2 speed 3/4 HP pump such as the WFDS-3 or WFDS-24. It has enough head for solar and is pretty efficient too. You would still need to use high speed for solar but it would use about 30% less energy than the 2 HP.

There are lots of choices in pumps, it just depends on your budget.

Is your concern more for the cost of energy or for the decision to use less of it?

I ask because if you are determined to use less energy, then you may prefer a new pump, but if it's purely financial, you may want to inquire with your power company about a Time-Of-Day meter. This meter will allow them to track the time of day you use energy, and the power company will usually charge more than the current rate during peak hours (i.e. daytime) and significantly less during off-peak times (night time).

I did this (the meter was free!) and started turning my water over at night and my bill dropped by about $75 per month. I can't attribute this all to the pool; I already ran the dishwasher at night and began doing laundry at night instead of daytime, but the majority of that was the pool, and it was my main reason for getting the new meter.

I know this is not free in some places though, so that will factor into such a decision.

Assuming that you do not have a controller (I do not see one in your sig, nor do I see one in the pic), you will need to get one for the Pentair pump. I am not certain at this time if I can suggest another pump, but I like the Hybrid Pump, as it works well and does not require a computer to make changes. If you cannot find Hybrid in Google search, PM me and I will send you the web address. It may be worth looking in to for your application.

Thanks all for the quick responses! I love this place!
Mark, about 25 feet. I don't have a computer controller just the standard analog timer. I don't want to invest in a digital controller at this point. I want something that will reduce my electric usage and has a lifespan that will give me a real ROI. Pentair has a pump with a on board controller. It's simple and runs around $900 plus install. When we did the install, we decided to eliminate the 3/4 hp pump to shave off some cost for the plaster knowing at some point we would need it. I really would not like to purchase a new pump if I don't have to. I would like to get everything out of the 2hp as possible. Currently, to get the full effect of the water futures, we have to direct the return to them. It takes all the water that the 2hp can send if we run all of them. 3/4 was for filtration. So you sound right on track.

baudilus, thank you for your suggestions. Our electric company is just now installing digital meters. Even at that, they are not yet going to a pay schedule based on the time of day. I am sure they will in the future. During the summer, I run the pump to cool the pool. During the heat of the summer, this becomes a balancing act due to the loss of CL.

simicrintz, thank you for your suggestions. I would like to know more about the HFD Retrofit System. Can I install it to control my current pump and reduce my electric bill? I will need to know the cost. If it was priced right and achieves my goal then it may be what I want.

Sabot said:
simicrintz,
Spoke to John (?), the rating on my pump is a B. So the HDF won't work.

Bummer! John is the man, so he would know. That is too bad, and I am sorry to hear that. I am happy to hear that you got to talk directly to him though; he wouldn't steer you wrong. Just another reason that I like them and their company.

Motors have to be specially designed for a VFD which many aren't. I had looked into the HFD several months ago as well and at that time they had stopped selling them because of motor issues.

Because of solar, no matter what solution you would choose, you wouldn't save as much as if you didn't have solar. I would suggest a two speed motor swap but you would need to use low speed enough to make it worth it.

The Intelliflo VS is often a great choice, especially if your electrical rates are fairly high. Unless you are in CA, where a dual speed capable timer is required to get the state rebate, the VS is generally fine. You do have a little more guess work to do figuring out the ideal pump speed than you would with a VF, but once you figure out the correct setting for the pump, the overall efficiency is very close to what you can get with a VF.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JasonLion said:
The Intelliflo VS is often a great choice, especially if your electrical rates are fairly high. Unless you are in CA, where a dual speed capable timer is required to get the state rebate, the VS is generally fine. You do have a little more guess work to do figuring out the ideal pump speed than you would with a VF, but once you figure out the correct setting for the pump, the overall efficiency is very close to what you can get with a VF.

The rebate is definitely a joke. $200 rebate, but you are required to purchase a $500+ controller to qualify (and have a qualified technician install, market price $500?). I have my new VS-3050 on my old mechanical timer running at 1400rpm (235w), and installed it myself. Thank you very much, but I'll pass on spending $1000 to save $200. It seems like these pool equipment companies have the state of California in their back pockets.

That said, my electric bill (in San Diego) is $60-80/month lower now that I have my new pump. My payoff period will be 14 months; after that will be gravy. Any one who is capable of running low power (ie no solar system) in California is foolish not to be running this series (Intelliflo) of pumps.

Was running a 1HP pump 4-8 hrs/day (depending on how out of control my algae was).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.