Any Reason NOT to Buy 10 Year Old Hot Tub?

Aug 28, 2009
Assuming the pump/heater, etc. is in decent shape and working, is it just too long-term cost consuming to buy a 10-11 year old hot tub? I have a bead on one for $500 (probably can get less).

It's a clear water, all is supposed to work, the deck has a little bit of water damage, but I'm going under deck with it anyway, so I'm not that worried about it.

New to buying a used spa. It seems like the older models are WAY down in the jet number, plus, the efficiency might cost you in the long run.

Am I better off trying to find one that's newer and dropping $2k plus on one?

KD

I wouldn't pay that much for a used one, but I would also assume that I'd have to sink some money into it to get it functional.

I don't care much about fancy features.

My own beloved spa was over 20 years old when I got it, and it has all of 4 jets. We love it and are still in it several times a week 3 years after getting it operational.

In my experience zillions of jets and features are really neato for about the first couple of soaks, then make little difference. As long as I can point one strong jet at my lower back, or one each at the soles of my poor feet, I'm good.

Those 4 jets make the water nice and frothy.

There will almost definitely be some things to be fixed over the first year or two, IMO. As long as the tub hasn't been sitting empty for an extended period of time, and you can't find any cracks in the shell (inside or out), that's the most important thing. My opinion is that you can find one for >$500 and maybe have to replace some things fairly soon, or you can spend a couple thousand and possibly have to do the same thing. You can never be sure when a pump or the control pack will fail. I don't know how old mine is, but I got mine for $150 on craigslist and had to replace a pump since, got a used one in great condition for $40 on there too.

When you find one you like, and the price is right, just look it over really carefully. Hopefully it will have water in it, and you can check for leaks. Also, try to find one that will be running when you get there, so you can be sure the pumps, heater, and anything else works the way it's supposed to, and that way you'll know if you need to replace anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.