Which used spa to choose?

denisbaldwin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2010
Several people I know are having their homes foreclosed on, and thus I have a chance to buy one of many cheap (sub $200) hot tubs/spas for my new place.

Most of these are 5-6 person units, and all have minor issues. Which one would you choose and why?

#1 - New heater and electronics a year ago. The pump in this one (a 1.5hp Hayward) seized up last fall and it's been sitting drained ever since. I can most likely buy a pump motor for around $100, so this spa would total $300 in parts. Cover, cabinet and everything else is reportedly fine.

#2 - Original heater and pump from 2002, but they reportedly work fine. This is just the shell and the guts. I'd need to buy a cover and build a cabinet/deck for it. Spa is $100. Figuring the lumber to build the rest would run me about another $200ish.

#3 - The best looking one, only 2 years old. This is also the biggest one, an 8 people tub at 8 foot x 7 foot x 4 foot deep. Cabinet is a beautiful rosewood, had something like 32 jets. Nice cover. Very nice looking. The problem? Heater hasn't worked in a year. Could be the heater, could be something electronic.

I'm looking for the best overall value, though I'm sure I'll be putting some money into this both for maintenance and for energy. Luckily, I have a 220 line already out there (is a slab that was once housing a shed the guy used for welding) and I've got both a pickup truck and trailer, so the "hard part" is making the choice and then making it right.

Any feedback on which you would buy?

Denis

denisbaldwin said:
Several people I know are having their homes foreclosed on, and thus I have a chance to buy one of many cheap (sub $200) hot tubs/spas for my new place.

Most of these are 5-6 person units, and all have minor issues. Which one would you choose and why?

#1 - New heater and electronics a year ago. The pump in this one (a 1.5hp Hayward) seized up last fall and it's been sitting drained ever since. I can most likely buy a pump motor for around $100, so this spa would total $300 in parts. Cover, cabinet and everything else is reportedly fine.

#2 - Original heater and pump from 2002, but they reportedly work fine. This is just the shell and the guts. I'd need to buy a cover and build a cabinet/deck for it. Spa is $100. Figuring the lumber to build the rest would run me about another $200ish.

#3 - The best looking one, only 2 years old. This is also the biggest one, an 8 people tub at 8 foot x 7 foot x 4 foot deep. Cabinet is a beautiful rosewood, had something like 32 jets. Nice cover. Very nice looking. The problem? Heater hasn't worked in a year. Could be the heater, could be something electronic.

I'm looking for the best overall value, though I'm sure I'll be putting some money into this both for maintenance and for energy. Luckily, I have a 220 line already out there (is a slab that was once housing a shed the guy used for welding) and I've got both a pickup truck and trailer, so the "hard part" is making the choice and then making it right.

Any feedback on which you would buy?

Denis

I'm almost thinking #1 just because the heater is new. Is it possible to upgrade to a dual pump setup for a hot tub like that with a little plumbing work? That seems like it would be ideal.

Depending on your setup #2 would be pretty good too, a drop into a deck configuration would be nice.

I'm in the same boat as you, looking for a used hot tub.

Any idea how much it would cost to ship from there to me in MT? You could by 2 and sell me one! ;->

Denis-

I can't help you choose which one is right for you, but I do have an observation. I have seen several spas that have been drained and the Fiberglas starts to "crack". I would assume that you are seeing these in person, but I would look and make sure that there are no cracks present in whichever one you settle on. Our climates are similar, and I've seen this often enough to comment!

Good luck!

simicrintz said:
Denis-
I have seen several spas that have been drained and the Fiberglas starts to "crack".

Definitely something to consider! All of these I've either seen drained or still are full of water and will need to drain. Since they're all friends of friends, I've had first hand experiences with every unit listed at some point or another.

From what my old neighbor went through, I definitely don't want one that's cracked. He had a hairline crack then ended up expanding and filled his whole sunroom with water. It wasn't pretty!

I'm almost considering dropping an extra 600-1000 on something "like new" so I have more jets, more efficiency, etc.etc. but I doubt I'll use it more than once or twice a week and I don't think the wife would clear the extra cheddar for something she doesn't deem "necessary".

Denis

I would consider number 3, however, you didn't mention how much you can get it for.

What is the current rating on the 220 circuit that will be supplying the tub? Many 'full size' tubs require 50A and some like mine require 60A.

denisbaldwin said:
simicrintz said:
Denis-
I have seen several spas that have been drained and the Fiberglas starts to "crack".

I'm almost considering dropping an extra 600-1000 on something "like new" so I have more jets, more efficiency, etc.etc. but I doubt I'll use it more than once or twice a week and I don't think the wife would clear the extra cheddar for something she doesn't deem "necessary".

Denis

Why do they always think it has to be "necessary" in order to have it :hammer: Are 56 pairs of shoes "necessary" :cool: :lol: They are to them, but a nice, enjoyable spa, or a '69 Camaro just never seems to clear the same parameters as another new outfit (that oughta start a little trouble!).

Having had three spas in 23 years, working our way up with each I'd go with the spa with the most jets and pumps to drive them. My spa, going on eight years old, has a small low flow circulation/filter pump that we run 24/7 for very little electric use and two 5 hp pumps for each set of jets, right side and left side. Each side can be run alone or both together, or not at all. The heater is connected only through the circulation/filter pump. The jets also have venturi action that can be that are variable, on, off, and in between. They really make the jets feel stronger.

I certainly agree about the cracking in an empty spa. Can you go look at the boo-koos of jets spa and operate some of the functions? If it is only the heater malfunctioning you will still be able to operate the other functions.

I had to replace the circuit board on mine. No problem I thought and not too expensive. But the company sent me the wrong one and I couldn't figure out how to install it. (My hobby, for years, was hacking all kinds of computer appliances, hardware and software, so it should have been an easy job. Just needed the proper part though.)

The heater on my spa looks to be easily user replaceable.

Look at the condition of the cover. On thing that happens to them is they begin to collect water and become really heavy. They aren't very cheap. I'm sure they can be somewhat revived but I have always had to replace them every 6-7 years as a couple of friends have broken the insulation in them "helping" me by cleaning the cover. 303 Space protectant can do a good job of reviving a faded, sun baked cover and protecting it from elements. If the spa is only two years old cover should be in good shape unless someone has broken the foam insulation.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.