Limestone coping cracked from freezing

chc4au

Jul 18, 2007
Birmingham Al
Okay located in Alabama where cold weather is not normally a problem.
This was an unusually cold winter and the limestone coping actually cracked/chipped evidently from holding water and freezing temperatures.
Trying to find out if anyone seals their coping to prevent this.
The stone company says they never seal.
Any words of advice are appreciated.

Hello,

I don't have any advice, but I did want to say I feel your pain about the cracked and chipped limestone.

We are renovating our pool, and we have just had limestone coping installed. I was never strong in geology, so I didn't know this about limestone! :shock:

We are having the coping sealed by our pool builder, but I think that will be done on the top after the pavers are put in. Sealing is being done I thought for cosmetic reasons in order to prevent leaves and other organics from staining it. It wasn't treated before it was installed.

After hearing of your troubles, I will now worry that at some time in the future, if some little bit of water creeps into, around, or under that coping, it will crack it in the winter. How sad! :cry: You have my sincere sympathy!

Lana

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.