What size is my Filter and dumb things not to do

VoR

Jun 30, 2009
San Diego, CA
So I'm thinking of replacing my DE grids as I have some broken pieces on the tops of the grids where they join the manifold (the grid fits snug but 3 of them are missing all or part of the plastic top that goes into the manifold). It's a Pentair FNS plus and the previous owner or pool maintainer highlighted the first column with specs on the 24SF model. I start researching the replacements and notice the 24 SF replacements are all listed as 12" tall :? Mine are ~24" tall so its a 48SF one right?

Now for the embarrassment of self by admitting this. In getting the pool opened up for the upcoming season I was having my pressure rise a lot even without much DE in the filter so I read up here on DE maintenance and do the prescribed TSP wash followed by the Acid wash...I've got it set up next to the pool and I know my PH has risen a little in the off season so without really thinking at the end of a long weekend, I dump the solution into the pool. :hammer:

It took a couple days before I got out my new TFP kit and tested the Ca at 570 (after draining and refilling last year due to high CYA and Ca after finding this sight), I thought it was high given the drain, but in Socal we do have high Ca source water (220). Then it dawned on me what a dummie I was...all I did was move the CA from the grids to solution and back into the pool. D'oh!

Now I have to decide if I drain and fill again or wait another season :oops:

Do you have any pictures or sticker still left on the filter that might positively identify the filter? If you do, I may be able to check my Pentair book and get you the right info.

By the way, you may not have to dump your water either. There are alternatives now, and I may be able to suggest a company who could help you. PM me if you would like and I will get that to you.

Thanks but I'm sure the alternatives are more costly than the water. I have thirsty citrus that can always use the water anywho.

Here's some pics of the filter and grids

[attachment=1:h8zqd9nz]FNS+.jpg[/attachment:h8zqd9nz]

[attachment=0:h8zqd9nz]FNS+Grids.jpg[/attachment:h8zqd9nz]

Attachments

• FNS+.jpg
    FNS+.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 117
  • FNS+Grids.jpg
    FNS+Grids.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 117
VoR said:
Thanks but I'm sure the alternatives are more costly than the water. I have thirsty citrus that can always use the water anywho.

Here's some pics of the filter and grids

Don't be so sure about the pricing :wink: Sometimes we assume that things cost more simply because we don't really know :oops:

If you can get me a clearer pic of the sticker I'll see if I can help. It just might cost more for the parts though than a whole new filter :whip:

Well color me surprised if I can get someone out to my house with all that equipment and filter 9-10k gallons for under $100 :wink:

I see replacement grids from $70-150 depending on their size, how could a new filter be less expensive?

Well, since you are just factoring in the cost of the water, and not the cost of renting a pump, risking delaminating the plaster/floating the pool, buying and adding the start up chemicals, etc., then I guess $100.00 is the cost to drain and refill :-D

I was just busting your chops on the price of the grids versus the cost of a new filter! PM me the model number (or a better pic) of the filter and I will see if I can find you some better pricing on the parts (not trying to sell you, just trying to help a fellow San Diegan out!). I might have a better priced source that you could get the parts from, and I'd be happy to try and save you a few bucks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.