HELP, Afraid I will burn up my pump

h2ctpdjl

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2008
Indiana
I just topped off my pool, inserted the plugs, attached the backwash hose, turned sand filter to Filtration, filled the pump filter with water and turned on the pump - nothing is happening. It is definitely working, but I am afraid i will burn up my pump if I let it run too long. I have turned the pump on twice and let the pump run two minutes each time, but nothing is happening - no water coming into the pump filter. Am I just too anxious? Do I need to let it run longer?

Try closing the valve(s) to the skimmer and drain. Fill the basket until the water level stays at the top. You'll be filling the pipes to the valves as well, so it'll take a little more water.

Then open the valves and quickly switch the pump on.

OK, I tried that - I get a first "gush" of water, then nothing. Should I let the pump run longer than a couple of minutes? Maybe I'm not giving it enough time? When I turn the pump off, water rushes back out of it into the pump filter.

Try removing the lid, pouring 5 gallons or so of water in. Close it up and turn it on. If it fails after a couple minutes, posting a pic of the pump and the suction side plumbing will give us a common point to direct you in searching for the air leak.

Scott

YEEha, its up and running! Thank you. Sometimes the slightest little detail can be a tremendous help to a newbie. You mentioned 5 gals of water. I didnt know I would need near that amount. I poured in the water - more than five gallons, actually, shut and tightened the pump filter and flipped the switch. No problemo now! I even re-read the pool opening instruction, and it doesnt mention that amount of water. I guess it would help if I understand the concept behind it. Thanks bunches.

Usually doesn't need that much. Sometimes builders use flex pipe. When the pipe has undulations, air pockets form. The extra water you added gave the water time to build some momentum and overcome the rises and falls that trapped air. Had you let it go initially, it probably would have overcome the air pockets. We just speeded it up some.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.