Testing Chemicals

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
I have a small storage rack to store some of my pool stuff and chemicals. I have noticed the plastic container feels warm when I take it out to test. Do the chemicals beome not as effective if they get too hot? I have since moved it into my garage to where it is warm, but has air flow around it as not to hold in heat. It is one of those plastic containers that have shelves and then doors to close it.

Thanks.

It is best to keep the testing reagents in a climate controlled environment. Somewhere inside the house where there is air conditioning in the summer and heat in the winter is best. They can lose their effectiveness over time with significant temperature swings.

I'll admit to keeping my test kit in the pool shed during the season. My pool is quite a ways away from the house and doing the testing in the house simply is not convenient. I go through one set of chems per season and can't say I've noticed any degradation. When I open a new bottle of test reagents I always run a comparison test with the old against the new. If what's left in the bottle of the old reagent tests the same as the new bottle, I'll use up the old bottle even if it's now in its second season. The only one that seems to go off by the end of the year is phenol red. If my pH tests seem 'wrong' I get a replacement at Leslie's.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.