Greetings from the Central Valley of Northern California

Apr 11, 2010
Greetings!

I wish I had found this board last year! What a resource and great community! As a way of introducing myself to the community, here's a bit of info about me and my pool:

Last year I purchased a repossessed house that had been vacated and not maintained for over 8 months. The pool equipment had been either stolen or sold and the pool was left full of water over our very hot and long summer. (The water remained on during the vacancy so the automatic filler kept it topped off.) To get the loan for the house approved, I need to pay a local service to drain and clean my new gunite swamp and install a working pump and filter.

The pool service used a pressure washer for the cleaning (no acid) and I picked up a used Hayward Northstar 3HP pump and a Purex Triton Mytilus FMY-150 filter. Although seriously mismatched with a pump too powerful for my pool and a filter too small, the combo did the job for my first year.

Yesterday, I purchased and installed a Pentair Clean n Clear Plus 420 filter. At some point over the next couple years, I will upgrade the pump and get a heater for the spa. In preparation for the new filter, this past week I drained, cleaned (with a brush and water only) and refilled the pool. You'd think I would be ready for the season...except....

I am not satisfied with the plaster surface. The neglect took its toll! There are numerous areas of discoloration and some areas where the plaster is pretty much gone and the bare gunite is exposed. Is this a problem beyond aesthetics, and what should I expect to pay for a good plaster resurfacing that will last 10 or more years?

Mark

Welcome to TFP!

We have had quite a few folks join up recently who have bought foreclosures with pools that have needed work. You're not alone, believe me.

Because replastering jobs vary so widely in price depending on your location and local resources, you might be best advised to go ahead and start taking bids from local services. Get several and don't reveal your bids to other bidders in the process. Once you have a few, start a new thread on the forum here and ask others for feedback on what sounds good.

Once again, welcome. By the way, you are going to love that filter!

257WbyMag said:
Welcome to TFP!

Because replastering jobs vary so widely in price depending on your location and local resources, you might be best advised to go ahead and start taking bids from local services. Get several and don't reveal your bids to other bidders in the process. Once you have a few, start a new thread on the forum here and ask others for feedback on what sounds good. And, more importantly, check the BBB and Contractors State Licensing Board. I'd also highly recommend not using the low bidder!

Once again, welcome. By the way, you are going to love that filter! Times 2 :goodjob:

simicrintz said:
257WbyMag said:
Welcome to TFP!

Because replastering jobs vary so widely in price depending on your location and local resources, you might be best advised to go ahead and start taking bids from local services. Get several and don't reveal your bids to other bidders in the process. Once you have a few, start a new thread on the forum here and ask others for feedback on what sounds good. And, more importantly, check the BBB and Contractors State Licensing Board. I'd also highly recommend not using the low bidder!

Once again, welcome. By the way, you are going to love that filter! Times 2 :goodjob:

Thanks simicrintz! I knew that I had left something out. Absolutely check those backgrounds!

Thanks for the welcome frustratedpoolmom! And thanks for the welcomes and advice, 257WbyMag and simicrintz. :)

I already love the new filter. One noticeable difference in the system since installing the new filter is the increased suction and water flow. I am betting the old 150 sq. ft. filter was a serious bottleneck in the system, especially with such a small pool and a 3 HP pump.

Tonight, it's back to the plumbing because I noticed a leak in one of the new pipe connections. :-(

RPB,

Welcome to TFP neighbor.

I would recommend taking a drive down to Aqua Pools in Manteca. I know it's a bit of a drive but they have many many pools on display with lots of colors and types of pool surfaces. They will even let you take your shoes off and walk on them to feel them.

Hi Butterfly! Thanks for the welcome! I think I have some before and after photos. I'll post some if I have them.

Hi cobra46! I'll see if I can get down to Manteca to check out Aqua Pools in the next couple of weeks. I called Adams Pool Solutions earlier today to request a bid but haven't heard back from them yet. Any other suggestions for Sacramento area pool resurfacers?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I called Adams last week for an estimate and had one scheduled for Friday...but after 3 calls back on Friday with changed appointments times we cancelled. I haven't heard back from them today. I'd very much like to hear about your neighbor's experience, cobra46.

Mark

Mark,

I just spoke with my neighbor. He did use Adams to install his Pebble Tech as well as some other things. I asked about the trouble I recall that he had and said that it was Adams but it was because he asked them to do some extra things that were not within their normal capabilities. I then asked him if he would use Adams again to plaster a pool and he said yes.

I hope that helps.