I need to move my sand filter/pump combo--any advice?

May 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
We need to move our StaRite Waterford Sand Filter System w/ JWP Pump (can't anything stay the same?!) due to a rebuild of our solar panel array. My husband wants to move it without removing any or all of the sand if we can get away with it. I'm afraid it may damage the spider gasket and entire housing as it's been in the sun/elements since 2006. Are they that delicate? Is it time to replace the sand anyway? Anyone have any experience? Thanks.

I moved my sand filter without dumping the sand. I drained the water out of the filter, and slid a two-wheel hand truck under the edge of the base. Tipped it back and away I went.

So we've moved everything and now can't get the valve to set on top of the filter correctly. I see that there is a tiny bit of water draining from the bottom and wonder if it heaved the spider assembly underneath and pushed up the center collector pipe so the valve is up to high to allow the clamp to connect the two. Can we trim the pipe 1/8" somehow, or do we need to do the ole empty the sand and see if the laterals are on the bottom?

Don't trim the pipe. Remove the sand and check the laterals and feed pipe. As long as the sand is on good shape you can save it and put it back. You could possibly use a hose to float the sand and reset the feed pipe but then you still wouldn't know if everything was ok.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.