Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I need to move my sand filter/pump combo--any advice?

1. Back To Top    #1

I need to move my sand filter/pump combo--any advice?

We need to move our StaRite Waterford Sand Filter System w/ JWP Pump (can't anything stay the same?!) due to a rebuild of our solar panel array. My husband wants to move it without removing any or all of the sand if we can get away with it. I'm afraid it may damage the spider gasket and entire housing as it's been in the sun/elements since 2006. Are they that delicate? Is it time to replace the sand anyway? Anyone have any experience? Thanks.
    Shelley
    Denver, CO

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I need to move my sand filter/pump combo--any advice?

I moved my sand filter without dumping the sand. I drained the water out of the filter, and slid a two-wheel hand truck under the edge of the base. Tipped it back and away I went.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I think with some care and plenty of "just in case" planning you can move it without issues. I recommend doing as John did and drain the water.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

So we've moved everything and now can't get the valve to set on top of the filter correctly. I see that there is a tiny bit of water draining from the bottom and wonder if it heaved the spider assembly underneath and pushed up the center collector pipe so the valve is up to high to allow the clamp to connect the two. Can we trim the pipe 1/8" somehow, or do we need to do the ole empty the sand and see if the laterals are on the bottom?
    Shelley
    Denver, CO

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't trim the pipe. Remove the sand and check the laterals and feed pipe. As long as the sand is on good shape you can save it and put it back. You could possibly use a hose to float the sand and reset the feed pipe but then you still wouldn't know if everything was ok.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit