The "Pool Cleaner" vs. the Pentair shark

I have The Pool Cleaner and it works out reasonably well. I suggest you add a ping-pong ball into the debris collection bag to help keep it upright to prevent it rubbing against the wheels and wearing out. Also, I had a wheel fall off of my unit after 3 years and the rubber on the wheels wore down about halfway, but when I got this fixed (it cost, but not too much) at the company in Sonoma, we determined that my unusual wear is due to a combination of warmer pool temps (88F typically; it's used as a therapy pool) and obstacles where the cleaner can get stuck (see here where the ramp can be a problem). They suggested increasing the bump size (bowing out in one place) on the wheels, though I haven't tried that yet as the season is just getting started.

My "The Pool Cleaner" is pressure-side on a dedicated line where I have a valve switch over to it from my single Intelliflo VF pump. This has saved me the cost of having a separate booster pump its associated cost for electricity. I run The Pool Cleaner for 2 hours each day and it keeps the pool clean, but I have an electric safety cover that is on the pool so it doesn't get horribly dirty. Nevertheless, when The Pool Cleaner was out of commission briefly (as noted above), the pool got pretty dirty so I know the cleaner generally does a good job.

Chem Geek,

I'm also interested in buying an automatic cleaner and been researching both suction side and pressure side cleaners made by Poolvergnuegen (aka The Pool Cleaner). My pool has a dedicated pressure port controlled by a 3 port valve to use for an automatic cleaner. I had a lengthy conversation with the manufacturer who stated that the pressure side model is not nearly as good for picking up fine particles as the suction side model is. How well does your pressure side cleaner work for picking up small debris? Does it pick up sand or does this just pass through the bag? I don't have a tremendous amount of sand but I would like to know that it can pick up what may be present.

Dykes26,

If you are considering a suction side cleaner, the manufacturer told me that the Tracker model pool cleaners that they used to manufacture for Jacuzzi (out of business) are identical to the Poolvergnuegen cleaners. Inyo Pools is still selling brand new Tracker models for significantly less than the identical Poolvergnuegen models. There will be no warranty but the parts are still available. If I were to buy a suction side model, I personally would consider buying one of the Tracker models. You may want to call Poolvergnuegen and discuss the Tracker models with them.

Sorry for hijacking your thread but I felt that this was pertinent to your question.

poolneophyte said:
If you are considering a suction side cleaner, the manufacturer told me that the Tracker model pool cleaners that they used to manufacture for Jacuzzi (out of business) are identical to the Poolvergnuegen cleaners. Inyo Pools is still selling brand new Tracker models for significantly less than the identical Poolvergnuegen models. There will be no warranty but the parts are still available. If I were to buy a suction side model, I personally would consider buying one of the Tracker models. You may want to call Poolvergnuegen and discuss the Tracker models with them.

Sorry for hijacking your thread but I felt that this was pertinent to your question.

I purchased the Tracker 4X from Inyo and I'm pleased with it's performance when I do use it. It is great at picking up very tiny particles although it is the worst performer at picking up some of my larger leaves. (For leaves the pressure Polaris 280 is best, Aquabot next best, with Tracker on the bottom end, but Tracker does the best at fine particles with Aquabot, using fine bag, a close second. Problem with Aquabot, though, during heaviest fine debris times is the bag gets saturated too quickly with the fine stuff.) I have tremendous amounts of fine stuff, some < 1 micron, year round. The only complaint I have about the Tracker is that the hose had some places that let air in; itcy bitsy places. I patched those places with the stretchy silicon tape that grabs to itself and is not affected by water. It comes in colors; even clear and white. I ordered different colors from Amazon and use for all kinds of things. If you have some amounts of larger debris its a very good idea to get an in-line leaf canister.

The Tracker comes with an adjustable valve, that goes into your suction port that will adjust the suction. If used in skimmer, directly into pipe hole, it does allow some skimer action if the suction is high enough.

gg=alice

As you have fine dust, etc, another great device is the Pool Skim that attaches to a return. And, of course, a skimmer sock in skimmer. The flow from the return causes a Venturi action that sends the debris into a bag. Even though the bag is not as fine as a skimmer sock it does catch a considerable amount of fine stuff before it settles to the bottom.The Pool Skim bags are kindof "sticky" so they do grab small particles that seem too small to be caught. I have two Pool Skims but only using one right now as the leaves are not dropping like in the fall. One of my Pool Skims has a finer bag than the other. I don't know if it is the older bag or the new bag though. Pool Skim is most excellent, also, at catching hair.

When I run the Intelliflo VF for two turn overs a day, 316 watts, flow at 34 gpm, close off one of the other three returns, using a solid disc in the eyeball, and normal eyeballs on the other two, there is plenty of flow to the return to get great Venturi action to catch loads of stuff. Pool Skim is around $100.

I, also, direct the other two returns so that much of the surface water is directed towards the Pool Skim at a pretty fast clip. Stuff still makes it to the skimmer but much less so I don't have to change it out as much; only once or twice a day.

gg=alice

poolneophyte said:
Chem Geek,

I'm also interested in buying an automatic cleaner and been researching both suction side and pressure side cleaners made by Poolvergnuegen (aka The Pool Cleaner). My pool has a dedicated pressure port controlled by a 3 port valve to use for an automatic cleaner. I had a lengthy conversation with the manufacturer who stated that the pressure side model is not nearly as good for picking up fine particles as the suction side model is. How well does your pressure side cleaner work for picking up small debris? Does it pick up sand or does this just pass through the bag? I don't have a tremendous amount of sand but I would like to know that it can pick up what may be present.

I'm not familiar with the pressure Pool Cleaner bags but I do use a pressure Polaris 280 in addition to the Tracker and Aquabot, during differing environmental conditions and/or how fast I want the pool clean.

I've had the Polaris 280s since they came out. The fine sand/silt bag will capture the sand but our finest stuff goes through just about any material. The E Z bag, disposable, comes closer to catching much of the fine stuff. Our fine stuff goes right through the fine sock that you can put inside the Polaris bag. There is another "fabric" similar to allergen dust covers for pillows that is also used for the "disposable" Aquabot bags, aftermarket Nasty Bag, TM, that I reuse by washing in vinegar water. That fabric does an even better job at catching the finest stuff. I've fashioned some bags, for the Polaris, out of that material, using the E Z bag for pattern, using the attachment collars that come with the E Z bags, and they catch all but the tiniest stuff. Main problem with the Polaris is the tail sweep stirring fine stuff up so you have to run the filter longer. Again, I'm not familiar with the pressure The Pool cleaner. It may not have a tail sweep.

BTW.... the ping pong ball idea is most excellent.

gg=alice

Here's a link that discusses/compares some of the cleaners. There is a mistake on the page. Where is says,

Pressure Side Cleaners

This cleaner requires only that you have a dedicated suction line and valving at the pump that will allow some of the pressure to be diverted to operate the pool cleaner. This can be run off of a pool return line, but that does require quite a bit of extra work to get the flow to the cleaner right."
"suction" should say pressure

http://www.poolplaza.com/thinkingpool4.shtml

poolneophyte said:
Chem Geek,
Sorry I didn't answer this earlier. I missed this post. Anyway, I don't get too much fine debris in the pool. It's mostly cedar needles (well, I should say it used to be cedar needles since we cut down that tree since it was just too much of a hassle cleaning off the cover so frequently). There are also some flower petals, but there is also some dirt that gets blown in so that's probably the smallest particles we get in the pool. The Pool Cleaner seems to do fine even with dirt, but quite honestly it's not a really big test. I'd trust what the manufacturer says -- if the suction model is better for fine debris, then I'm sure it is. Most certainly it doesn't just pass through the bag as the bag is fairly fine, but again we're talking about dirt and not fine sand.

Chem Geek,

Thanks for your response. In my conversation with Poolvergnuegen, they told me that they will be unvailing a "hybrid" cleaner at next falls trade shows which is both a suction side and a pressure side cleaner. They said that it will be the best of both worlds and that you could change the type of cleaner based upon the seasons and type of debris in the pool. I may hold off buying a cleaner until this proposed unit gets some reviews.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
poolneophyte said:
Chem Geek,

I stopped using my Polaris 280 last week when I realized how much it was costing me to run the booster pump for 10 hours a day. That's what it was taking to keep the water clear and fine and small particles up from bottom of pool. And it was stirring up so much stuff that I had to change out the skimmer sock twice a day due to it clogging with our microscopic dust.

So I hooked up my Tracker 4x. It is doing an amazing job and does it in 2-3 hours a day. I have gone 3 days without changing out the skimmer sock. I have an Intelliflo VF which I run on slow flow for 23/7 (saved $150 last month compared to year before but still running Polaris booster so will be saving a lot more). When I want to run the Tracker I just stop the pump, put the Tracker hose in skimmer and run the pump on manual vacuum. It is set to 120 minutes and that is usually enough.

I'm changing over my dedicated return for Polaris 280 to a vac port for Tracker and automating control valves pretty soon.

Dykes26,

I purchased the Tracker 4X from Inyo Pools last fall. Several of the hose sections had tiny punctures, in groups, and allowed air in. I worked on patching them with silicone stretch repair tape, but used up a bunch of very expensive rolls. So I put the Tracker up for the fall and was going to have to use the Polaris anyway because of the massive amounts of leaves beginning to fall.

Last week, when I switched over the the Tracker I still had to repair the hoses. I ran out of my silicone stretch tape so picked up some butyl repair tape at Walley's, which is less expensive.

I contacted Inyo last week. They have contacted the manufacturer, Poolvergnuegen, and they are sending me a whole new set of sectional hoses. :-D So it seems that the warranty has been honored in this case. :party:

I've been thinking about purchasing another Tracker 4X, for parts, extra hose, etc. At the price of $239 it will certainly pay for itself when expensive parts are eventually needed.

poolneophyte said:
Chem Geek,

Thanks for your response. In my conversation with Poolvergnuegen, they told me that they will be unveiling a "hybrid" cleaner at next falls trade shows which is both a suction side and a pressure side cleaner. They said that it will be the best of both worlds and that you could change the type of cleaner based upon the seasons and type of debris in the pool. I may hold off buying a cleaner until this proposed unit gets some reviews.

I'm planning on doing something like this by using valves, at pumping station, to switch between using the dedicated return for Polaris and dedicated vacuum port for Tracker. As I have both cleaners, and one new spare 3-way valve, this is the most cost effective way for me to do it. In the fall, I certainly need Polaris 280 for the leaves.

gg=alice

We have the The Pool Cleaner 2 Wheel Tracker (POOLVERGNUEGEN) and love it. It gets all areas of our free-form pool clean. We are in the early stages of planning our next pool, which will be rectangular. Does the Pool Cleaner get stuck in corners?

The Pool Cleaner doesn't seem to get stuck in corners in my pool, but it does have trouble with ramps as shown in my pool where it can get stuck at the start of the ramp on the side of the ramp. That should be pretty unusual, however.

I'm a Pool Cleaner owner (and handle them on my site; shameless plug :oops: ), and it is by far the best cleaner I have had in 20 years of pool ownership. I've had most of the major brands, and have had my share of problems with all of them. The Pool Cleaner has been in my pool now for just over a year, and I have had no problems to date. I cannot make that statement about any of the other brands I have had (or sold!) in the past.

One minor comment on TPC, Suction side - I have had some issues (minor) in one pool that has the single-hole skimmer and vari-flow adapters. Seems I just can't get enough suction to the cleaner skimmer - and don't want to re-plumb the old Polaris line for suction. Still trying to figure this one out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.