Rattling in the sand filter

Mar 22, 2010
Goldsboro, N.C.
I have a Hayward 244t sand filter and it has been in operation for 2 years. It has always had a rattle to it, sounding like a small pebble inside banging around. Anyone else with this filter have this noise or anyone know if this is normal? If not, how can i fix it? It's not affecting the performance, but would be nice to get it to stop.

Thanks

Have you considered opening it up and looking inside to see if there was a piece of scale or something that had broken loose and ended up in there somehow?

I opened up the multi-port and looked inside last week before starting everything up. The sand looked clean and as far as i know everything looked normal. Looking through the window in the pump basket, it's clear, so no bubbles. Also, the sound is definitely coming from the filter, not the pump.

Thanks

I have a similar rattle. Only way I have been able to get it to stop is to put some back-pressure on the filter by closing up one of the valves to a return (i.e. increasing pressure).

I haven't opened it up yet, but it sounds like air in the MPV. Wondering if it is a bad seal in the MPV?

Did you find the cause of your rattle? I'd be interested to know what fixed it!

Thanks,
elgumpo

I have 2 "rattles" like this.

1 is the check valve from my Rainbow feeder, probably not the issue you have

1 is the multiport on the filter (same filter as you). I believe its because of air trapped in the system when the pump takes a bit to prime, as the noise only shows up when my pump basket isnt completely full with water (which happens either on first startup, or if there is a lot of junk in the skimmer or pump basket). Once the pump has run for a while the noise goes away. Ive also had some success running it on recirculate for a little while first, then switch to filter. Adding some back pressure would help if its that much of a bother.

Ive noticed that after you pump to waste when you push down on the handle it seems to let some air out of the system thru the glass viewing bulb, so Ive held the handle down and removed the bulb while listening for the air to subside. Not sure if that helps anything but it might.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the same filter and it had a constant rattle when operating with a back pressure of about 12 psi. Recently I isolated the booster pump with a ball valve (I very rarely use the cleaner) and that has raised the back pressure to 15 psi and the rattle is now gone.

I just noticed that my rattle disappears at 15 psi also. After opening the valves to the heater this weekend, the pressure increased to 15 and the rattle went away. Is there anything i can do do keep the pressure up once i do not need the heater in a few weeks?

Thanks

Obviously you need to restrict the flow somehow. When I was investigating my rattle I throttled the ball valves on the discharge of the pump and saw that the noise went away at the higher filter pressure. It was then that I realized the cleaner line was basically a straight shot back to the pool (without an eyeball like the returns). I toyed with installing an eyeball in the cleaner line and just decided to install a ball valve instead. That way I figured it could be throttled or closed completely if necessary. Is there a similar line in your plumbing that can be restricted somehow?

Thanks for posting this question by the way. I was looking really hard at replacing my 1.5 hp pump with a smaller one, thinking that perhaps it was generating too much flow for the filter (and I will -- eventually). Since you have a .75 hp it's probably not the flow rate, but something else -- perhaps some trapped air that just needs a little more compressing to get carried out.

Good luck!
Gordon

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.