New Pool Build - have pics and need advice

Circle-D

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
Houston, TX
We have started a new pool build. We are going for a backyard oasis. We live on a 1 acre lot, so the pool is rather large, almost to big. Looking for feedback on equipment and setup. The pool is calculated to have 44,000 gallons. I have decided to go with mostly pentair equipment, I am really into automation and want to hook it up to my HAI system and use their iPhone app. I have a pool builder that I have used before, very quality conscious. But a little old school on equipment. Does not like salt systems or variable speed pumps. He will do what ever I want, so here is what I have so far. He is a big Sta-Rite fan btw. We have already started the build process and I will post some pics.

Equipment so far:
Pentair VF Pump
2hp pump for waterfall and slide
Gunite slide and moss-rock waterfall
2 1.5hp pump for spa jets, there are 11
Pentair master temp 400k heater
Salt system, up for debate still
3 led lights pool 1 in spa
DE filter, I think about 75 square feet
Pentair Intellitouch system
SunDeck stamped deck, probably

Here are my questions.

1. Looking at the Auotpilot or Pentair salt systems, leaning towards the Pentair IC-60 for the communications?
2. Builder wants to use stainless steel filter, ok with salt?
3. 2 pumps on spa a good idea?
4. Considering a solar system as well, brand choice?
5. Sundeck a good choice?
6. Sta-rite pumps for all the accessories?

Thanks for looking and appreciate the feedback.
Chris

Some pics

yard.jpg

dig1.jpg

dig2.jpg

Spa.jpg

gunite1.jpg

gunite-spa.jpg

gunite2.jpg

gunite3.jpg

If you're going with a Pentair VF pump and an Intellitouch system, why not go to their quad DE filter, SWG (although there are many excellent reports for autopilot) and stay with the brand for extended warranty purposes.

Have no idea about sundeck.

Solar - in simple terms there seems to be two schools: Fafco (the majority follow their panel to panel connection scheme and panel construction - monolithic panels), and Heliocol (with fewer using their panel connection scheme and panel construction - individual tubes). Fafco seems to have the edge in raw performance figures, but Helicol requires fewer roof penetrations for high wind areas (not like there are ever any storms that visit Houston or anything). The Florida solar energy center has panel to panel comparisons for hard solar performance data: http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/consumer/sol ... /index.htm

lbridges said:
If you're going with a Pentair VF pump and an Intellitouch system, why not go to their quad DE filter, SWG (although there are many excellent reports for autopilot) and stay with the brand for extended warranty purposes.

Have no idea about sundeck.

Solar - in simple terms there seems to be two schools: Fafco (the majority follow their panel to panel connection scheme and panel construction - monolithic panels), and Heliocol (with fewer using their panel connection scheme and panel construction - individual tubes). Fafco seems to have the edge in raw performance figures, but Helicol requires fewer roof penetrations for high wind areas (not like there are ever any storms that visit Houston or anything). The Florida solar energy center has panel to panel comparisons for hard solar performance data: http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/consumer/sol ... /index.htm

Thanks you very much for the solar links. I glanced over it and seems like very good info. I will read it over and see if I have any more questions. We went with all Pentair, I think it will work very well together.

Chris

We had a similar situation with our pool build, ie and older school thought process. I wanted to really minimize our energy usage wherever possible. Pool Builder just wanted to use the equipment he knew. We ended up with mostly pentair equipment. We chose the Intelliflo VS-3050 and an Easy Touch System. I would have rather gotten the VF pump, but at the time, I could only use the Intellitouch automation system and not the Easy touch. Since we didn't need that much automation, we ended up with the VS and Easytouch. Its worked fine, but I kind of wish we would have gone with the VF and Intellitouch. Our builder wanted to use Starite pumps also. I finally just had to tell them no and we went with Whisperflo's for the in-floor cleaning system and a waterfall. They are both fixed speed pumps.

As for Sundek, we almost went with it and then decided to go with Pavers instead. I think Sundek would be fine. However, make sure you are getting Sundek. I think there is just 1 installer in Houston who is in Katy. I had a couple of builders quote Sundek and even give me brochures. When we got into the details, I found out that they were going to do something similar with their own contractors. Needless to say, I dropped those bids.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.