Rigid Foam as Underlayment - AGP

Aug 28, 2009
Just picked up a used 15x30' AG pool today, and will need to reinstall it. I'll be doing a big overdig and "burying" the pool (no backfill against the walls.)

The biggest battle here is with the cold, and heat loss, so I'm going to be insulating everything as much as possible.

Lots of folks here use rigid foam when they install concrete pads, so I was wondering if you could do the same thing under the pool liner? I'm thinking of over digging for the supports, then adding 2" or so of rigid foam, and maybe a layer of sand to cover the joints (they are 4x8 sheets). I'd overdig to make sure the foam (cut to fit the oval inside) would sit flush (including sand).

Is this the way to go, or is the gorilla stuff an insulator too? i'm insulating the sides too.

Your greatest heat loss is out the surface of the water, after that steel sides if they are exposed. The ground just doesn't seem to be the big issue. Having SOMETHING under the liner would obviously help - I'm thinking what could they hurt?

Thanks. Just trying to cover all of my bases. Even an extra 5% heat loss from the bottom is 5%. I'm insulating everything else. I found some articles about using the rigid foam, then using foam coping on the bottom to finish it up. I think this will be the way I go. It's not that many sheets, and should also add for a nice soft bottom to walk on...

I think the underlayment provides a better bottom for the pool than just sand - not necessarily from an "insulating" factor. Our installers didn't do a very good job on the sand and we have lots of "toe" divits that collect the dust/pollen. It's annoying. I'd much rather have a smooth flat bottom. When the time comes to replace the liner I'm going to ask for an underlayment of some kind....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.