How to clean an IG pool vinyl liner everywhere

$10 to reach 8....it's to hard to calculate it that way - you don't know if it's being consumed as you add it or if it's just weak.

I'm confident in the strength of the Wal-mart "Great Value" brand at $2.54 for 182 oz which is usually slightly less than the Clorox. Both are great. For me, around here - the Pool Store's 12.5% for $2.99 is a better price, because it's stronger and also - less jugs to carry around. The whole Candian/US dollar exchange thing aside, if you can find similar pricing up there...

If you are going to Wal-mart they usually have HTH brand stabilizer, sold in 4 lb jugs (purple label on the package).

I found this thread from last year about buying BBB supplies in Canada:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/cya-at-0-should-i-use-this-t13278.html

Some useful info in the thread...

You can scoop out the leaves for sure - with a net/leaf rake. You can vacuming can wait till the weekend I suppose.

I went and bought some "Great value" chlorine and stabilizer. They didn't have any HTC to I bought what they had. I put 2 kilos in a sports sock, then in the skimmer. I get the feeling that this will take a month to dissolve. Meanwhile, I've decided to stop adding chlorine until I get my K2006 test I ordered (will receive cleaning robot at the same time). Once I receive the kit, what's the minimum CYA level I should wait for before adding chlorine again, so I don't loose it all? I also changed the angle a bit of the return eye so this may help circulation. I removed the leaves, but can I leave the vacuuming to the new robot? (Polaris 9300)

You always want to add at least 10ppm per evening of bleach even if no CYA is present, to at least try and reach shock level. Doing this in the evening will at least take the sun out of the equasion. 24 hours after the CYA has dissolved, assume that is your level. So if you calculated enough to reach 30ppm, and that's how much you put in the sock, then your level is 30 and you adjust your FC accordingly. Does that make sense? Don't let it go with out adding bleach each evening, you'll just lose any ground you may have made.

Hi again,

Now that I've had the Taylor test kit, I've been able to get some numbers.

Last time I checked, my CYA was 40, so I've stopped adding stabilizer. How often do I have to check this? I noticed that it uses up a lot of reagents and would like to not order more before next year.

I've chocked the pool a few times, once as high as 18. Yesterday, FC was down at 1 so I added to 5L chlorine jugs and tonight FC is at 5.5 and CC at 1.

The pool is no longer green and I've vaccumed to pick up the algae, but there are still a few dark patches here and there. I couldn't pick everything up as it was a little sticky and since I chocked, my water isn't very clear so I can't see well when it gets deep. Anything I should do to clear up the water? I did notice that when I was vaccuming, alot of green stuff was coming out of the return. Is that normal or should the sand filter stop anything but clean water from coming back?

Meanwhile, I can now run the Polaris 9300 daily and it won't stop because it's clogged anymore. My assumption is that I now need to keep my FC over 3 or 4 and the pool will ended getting totally clean and clear?

Yeah, you aren't shocking properly:
Shocking Your Pool

As for testing the CYA, monthly or so perhaps longer if you don't have a lot of water replacement. It stays pretty steady. But you don't want the FC dropping below your minimum - you risk a lot problems doing that.

So follow the steps in the shocking article.

It's funny how sometimes you need to read things a couple of times before it really sinks in. I finally understood that all 3 things were required in the Shocking Your Pool instructions. I can now say that my CC is at zero, my water is clear enough and I look maybe a bit less than 1 ppm of FC per day.

Now my issue is that I always have dirt in the pool even if I have the Polaris 9300 working the pool all the time. It looks like most of it is sand in addition to a yellow film that leaves a clean mark if I run my finger. I remember last summer I had emptied my sand filter a epoxied the bottom of the thing in the middle of the filter since there was a little crack. Could this be a new crack in that part, or simply a finished sand filter? I do think it's pretty old... :|

Not yet a trouble free pool :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.