To cover or not to cover up the pump & filter?

denisbaldwin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2010
My pump and filter are exposed to the elements, mounted on a concrete pad about 10 feet from my pool. They have no shelter, but I was considering building one.

I wasn't going to do it for asthetic reasons, simply to cover up the pump and electrical from rain. Is this something you would recommend? I'm looking at about $200 in lumber to do it the way I had planned, but the more I think about it the more I think it's a waste of money. After all, these pumps and filters are made to be outside, right? Is there any reason why I wouldn't want to leave it uncovered?

Denis

Yes most of the equipment is made to be outdoors and is rain proof but I suspect, but have no proof, they would last longer if covered. I have my stuff open to the elements for close to 5 years now but we as probably you as well, do not have very harsh winters which I think helps quite a bit. The sun is probably more damaging than the rain so make sure the PVC is painted. There are also pump motor covers you can use though I never really saw the need for those since most pump motors are designed to keep out the rain.

I really like having mine indoors after the first few seasons outdoors. All the tools and things like pipe dope, teflon tape, strap wrenches, O-ring lube etc. are all right there hung on nails or on shelves over the filter. Blocks a lot of the pump noise from the pool area as well.

Here's what Pentair says about the Intelliflo pump (admittedly haven't looked at other manuals):

1. Install the pump as close to the pool or spa as possible. To reduce friction loss and improve efficiency,
use short and direct suction and piping returns.
2. Install a minimum of five (5) feet from the inside wall of the pool and spa. Canadian installations require
a minimum of three (3) meters from pool water.
3. Install the pump a minimum of two (2) feet from the heater outlet.
4. Do not install the pump more than (8) feet above the water level.
5. Install the pump in a sheltered well ventilated location protected from excessive moisture, (i.e., rain,
sprinklers, etc.).

6. For hot tubs and spas, do not install within an outer enclosure or beneath the skirt of a hot tub or spa.
7. Install the pump with a rear clearance of at least 6 inches so that the motor can be removed easily for
maintenance and repair.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.