Pump's dead - any advice?

GYHTBT

Apr 8, 2010
Pump is a AO Smith and less than 1 year old. Has worked great until this. I have tried bumping and knocking hoping the contacts were stuck. Can't reach the pump but seems unlikely that it's stuck on debris. I was reluctant to take off the back housing as its a tight fit against a wall and that will take hours to get at. Any suggestions?

Welcome to TFP!!

As it's a new motor, a possible cause is a stuck impeller. You could try removing the strainer basket and turning the impeller with a screwdriver (**be sure the power is off and won't turn back on while you're doing this!!!!**)

Pics of the system are always welcome and often help us diagnose/ prescribe a fix :-D

If it's less than a year old it should be under warranty. If you do end up fixing it yourself and it's not something you did wrong (like something jammed in the impeller) then I would definitely have them replace it under warranty.

It's Alive, It's Alive!!

Thanks to all for the great advice and suggestions. The points were pretty pitted and scored. scrapped them down and did a bit of "gapping" and it fired right up. Reminded me of an old 4 cylinder car I had back in the days of points, rotors, distributors etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.