abs pipes with abs elbows and tees for a solar heater?

Mar 18, 2010
Hello,
I am installing some 2X12 vertical sungrabber panels. I've seen in some houses where it is used black pipes in the roof
and white pipes in the walls coming down to the equipment. I am guessing the black pipes are abs and the white ones
are pvc. What I can not see is if the elbows and tees in the roof are abs or just black painted pvc.
Checking in the hardware store, abs and pvc fittings have different dept, I mean, the pipe can go deeper in the pvc fittings than the abs ones. I would like to ask what should I use?
Thank you,
Rodrigo.

rabascal said:
Hello,
I am installing some 2X12 vertical sungrabber panels. I've seen in some houses where it is used black pipes in the roof
and white pipes in the walls coming down to the equipment. I am guessing the black pipes are abs and the white ones
are pvc. What I can not see is if the elbows and tees in the roof are abs or just black painted pvc.
Checking in the hardware store, abs and pvc fittings have different dept, I mean, the pipe can go deeper in the pvc fittings than the abs ones. I would like to ask what should I use?
Thank you,
Rodrigo.

I used all PVC, put on a primer for slick surfaces then painted the pipes the color of my windows and soffits. My deck that this all hangs from will get the same color when I get to that item on the project list. They've only been painted 6 months but seem to have come out of the winter looking good.

It is best to use PVC everywhere. You can paint it black before installing it if you want. You do have to sand the paint off where you want to make a joint, but that is usually easier than painting it after it is installed. Krylon Fusion for Plastic is one of several good paints to use on PVC.

Yuk, Flex.

Scott

FlexIn20Yrs.jpg

PoolGuyNJ said:
Yuk, Flex.

Scott

FlexIn20Yrs.jpg

That's not the stuff I'm talking about. Flex-PVC looks just like regular PVC but is flexible. It's expensive compared to rigid, but way cheaper than the fittings it takes to make the bends it can make.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.