Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: abs pipes with abs elbows and tees for a solar heater?

1. Back To Top    #1

abs pipes with abs elbows and tees for a solar heater?

Hello,
    I am installing some 2X12 vertical sungrabber panels. I've seen in some houses where it is used black pipes in the roof
    and white pipes in the walls coming down to the equipment. I am guessing the black pipes are abs and the white ones
    are pvc. What I can not see is if the elbows and tees in the roof are abs or just black painted pvc.
    Checking in the hardware store, abs and pvc fittings have different dept, I mean, the pipe can go deeper in the pvc fittings than the abs ones. I would like to ask what should I use?
    Thank you,
    Rodrigo.
    Award-winner Swimming Pools Design, Construction and Landscaping.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: abs pipes with abs elbows and tees for a solar heater?

Quote Originally Posted by rabascal
    Hello,
    I am installing some 2X12 vertical sungrabber panels. I've seen in some houses where it is used black pipes in the roof
    and white pipes in the walls coming down to the equipment. I am guessing the black pipes are abs and the white ones
    are pvc. What I can not see is if the elbows and tees in the roof are abs or just black painted pvc.
    Checking in the hardware store, abs and pvc fittings have different dept, I mean, the pipe can go deeper in the pvc fittings than the abs ones. I would like to ask what should I use?
    Thank you,
    Rodrigo.
    I used all PVC, put on a primer for slick surfaces then painted the pipes the color of my windows and soffits. My deck that this all hangs from will get the same color when I get to that item on the project list. They've only been painted 6 months but seem to have come out of the winter looking good.
    The avatar is Spalding from Caddyshack
    18x36 vinyl IG - approximately 24000 gal
    Jandy SHPM1.5 Pump (1.5 HP); Jandy APURE 1400 SWG; Polaris PB4-60Q Booster Pump; Jandy CL340 Cartridge Filter
    (3) 4'x12' Aquatherm solar panels
    Next project, pump sound enclosure and lots of pool landscaping [6tons of stone 8) funnnn]

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't believe ABS is for outdoor use. I would use PVC and paint if needed. Plastikote paint works very well.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

4. Back To Top    #4

It is best to use PVC everywhere. You can paint it black before installing it if you want. You do have to sand the paint off where you want to make a joint, but that is usually easier than painting it after it is installed. Krylon Fusion for Plastic is one of several good paints to use on PVC.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll add that even the Flex-PVC will hold paint just as well as regular PVC.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Yuk, Flex.

Scott

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    Yuk, Flex.

Scott

That's not the stuff I'm talking about. Flex-PVC looks just like regular PVC but is flexible. It's expensive compared to rigid, but way cheaper than the fittings it takes to make the bends it can make.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I like flex pvc too

it's easier and more forgiving than rigid pipe plus less fittings means head loss
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp