Auto Pool Cover Motor Wiring/Bypassing Limiter

Mar 22, 2010
Ok, I just got my pool cover motor rebuilt for $270 and then took it back home and installed it to realize it didn't work. I took the motor and switch assembly which includes this pool saver limiter to the electric repair shop. They said they could bypass it by wiring in a 120V key switch at $280 which would take them one hour. I said WOW and told them I would come grab the motor and switch assembly and seek a second opinion. Since the recession and being pool related I think companies are doubling service prices.

So I called Pool Saver "SunSystems" and they said a 120V key switch is $230 plus $20 shipping. I laughed knowing anything pool related is 20X the price of the normal part. So Here I am searching for ideas, maybe hoping someone with experience with electronics and or Pool Saver could help.

Attached is a wiring diagram for what I currently have and an additional diagram of bypassing the limiter by installing a 120V key switch. Wondering what kind of 120V key switch would work?

Attachments

• PoolSaver 120V Key Switch Diagram.pdf
    133 KB · Views: 99
  • PoolSaver 8F047 Wiring Diagram.pdf
    181.6 KB · Views: 103
It's hard to tell without an actual schematic of the switch itself but it looks like a double pole single throw switch. What you're doing is shorting the limits to the return which is what the limit switches do when they're made. A double pole double throw will work you will just use one throw.

Why do you suspect the limits?
I emplore you not to run the system in bypass except for testing.

The limiter box is broken according to a repair shop. Pool Saver wants $550 for that box or they said I can bypass the limiter by using a 120v Key Switch for $230 which also the cover to open when the key is turned and stops when I let go.

I have yet to find a solution.. Do you have a pool saver motor and switch?

I think my next approach is to go to an electrical supply warehouse and see if they could fit me with some kind of switch.

That good to know you can get a switch for little cost. I would put mine in a lock box so no one could open the pool cover. My is the same as above it is a switch with a key and it was about the same price $250.00 I'm going to need a new cover. I have had mine since 2001. It is a cost savor. I got a used system including the cover (cover brand new) for $2100.00 installed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would build my own limit switch box, but I do not know how the cover limit switches work. I assumed the magnetic switches turn on or off a relay. That could work, but somehow the limit switch box knows which limit switch has been hit using only two wires for both limit switches. The limit switches are wired in parallel. Any ideas?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.