First Time Opening Questions

poolneophyte

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2009
Long Island, NY
I have a couple of first time opeing questions that I need answered. My poolbuilder closed the pool for me last fall and I was not home to watch what he did. I understand that he put some antifreeze in the plumbing lines but I don't know what other types of chemicals he used to close the pool. My questions are:

1. Is a DE filter typically backwashed as part of the winterization process? Should I open it up and do a full cleaning as described in the filter manual?

2. What happens to the antifreeze put in the pipes? Do I filter to waste upon initial startup to get rid of it or is it safe to leave in?

Thanks in advance for the help. We can't wait for our masonry work and landscaping to get done this spring and finally have a fully usable pool this year.

Yes, the DE filter should have been backwashed right before closing. Still, it is a good idea to open it up and do a complete cleaning at least once a year, and now is as good a time as any.

The anti-freeze used in swimming pools is non-toxic. It is the same stuff they use to winterize the drinking water lines in an RV. Many people like to start the pump up with the main valve set to waste or backwash, just to keep as much of the anti-freeze out of the pool as you can, but it doesn't really matter if you do that or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.