Filter/pump replacement question

pb1206

Apr 9, 2010
New member with a 3 year old 18x33 (52") AGP that is buried approx 32" down. Been using using BBB since last summer and very satisfied. I currently have a clean and clear cartridge filter system with 1 1/2 hp pump which died 2 days ago. My local independent pool advisor recommends switching from cartridge to sand. From reading the forums and posts on sand v cartridge, it seems to be a personal choice with all options having pros/cons. I am leaning toward the sand. After searching the internet and locally, I found a great price at a local pool store on a complete system (waterway clearwater sand system) but I believe the 26" 2 hp, 2-speed sand filter system they recommended seems a little overkill for my pool. Thanks for your guidance.

Welcome to TFP! :)

Is the price really good on the new combo? A large filter is always good (that one is very large), the 2 hp, run on low would be fine. But not sure you need to replace everything...

Have you tried to fix the motor of the original pump? Have you determined what caused it to die? It should have lasted longer. Mine is 9 years old.

How do you feel about your cart...how many sf was it? What is making you lean towards sand?

pb,

Welcome to the forum! :lol: Just the HP rating can be a little misleading. There should be a "service factor" posted on the motor nameplate that will help identify it's tru HP. Alternatively, can you find out the amperage?

After all that, it does sound a little large for your pool. With your pool buried like it is, does the pump sit above the waterline of the pool or below it?

The sand is just based on a recommendation from my pool guru. He just thinks it is a better option since I am near numerous trees and lots of falling debris. The pump had a short life due to going underwater the 1st summer I had it installed. It was placed at the same level as the base of the pool (32 " down). Before i could get it moved, heavy rain filled up the hole. After drying out, I was able to get it running for 2 more seasons but is now very dead. The cost to replace the pump and get a new cartridge for the filter is almost half the cost of the new system so my pool guy thought it would be a great time to change out. He is not selling me anything only providing labor so I am comfortable that he is offering an unbiased opinion. The new system is $429.00 plus sand.

If it's the motor that's shot on the pump and nothing else is hurt, I'd seriously consider just replacing the motor. If it's a one speed I'd upgrade to a 2-speed but I wouldn't replace the filter unless there was a really good reason to. JMO