Converting swamp to pool (pics included)

ntshclr

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 7, 2010
New Jersey
Hey everyone,

My husband and I have a pool that has been neglected for three years and we've decided to open it this summer. I've never done any of this before so everything I know has come from reading Pool School over the last couple of days. I'd really like to save some money and not have a company service the pool so all the information on this site has been invaluable.

Here's what we're working with:

Picture428-1.jpg

Picture430.jpg

Picture432.jpg

As you can see, it's a mess. The cover is torn and falling in, the water is filthy, and there's 3 seasons worth of leaves in there. I spent 2 hours today scooping leaves out and I'm not sure they're half gone yet. I plan to fish out as many of the leaves as possible, pull off the cover, check that the filter is working (have no idea what kind I have) and start the shocking process using the sticky from the Algae sub-forum as a guide. I have the TF-100 XL on the way and I expect to get it on Saturday or Monday.

I will be updating this thread with pictures of my progress until I have sparkling clear water.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions at this point I'd love to hear them. Thanks for reading.

Welcome, fast learner! :wave:

As Lana suggested, posting pics of your pool equipment & plumbing will allow members to help you identify your set-up.

That is one large pool! Hopefully you can find a good deal on liquid chlorine and stock up for the clean-up.

You really do have a good handle on things. Don't forget to keep us updated with pics :lol:

ntshclr said:
I spent 2 hours today scooping leaves out and I'm not sure they're half gone yet. I plan to fish out as many of the leaves as possible.....

Just a thought - you may want to crank up the grill and cook some burgers and dogs and have a bunch of folks take turns scooping and doing some general clean-up. That can be awfully tiring and painful trying to do by yourself!

I went to look at the pump and filter today, very confusing with all the levers and whatnot. I discovered that it's a DE filter and a 2.0 hp pump. There were instructions on the side of the filter for how to clean it, so I'm sure I could eventually decipher it and get it working. I do need to have someone install a timer so the pump isn't running 24/7 all summer, any ideas on which one to get and where it should be put?

Picture433.jpg

Picture434.jpg

Picture435.jpg

Thanks for all the replies so far. We're looking forward to the final product too!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Butterfly said:
ntshclr said:
I spent 2 hours today scooping leaves out and I'm not sure they're half gone yet. I plan to fish out as many of the leaves as possible.....

Just a thought - you may want to crank up the grill and cook some burgers and dogs and have a bunch of folks take turns scooping and doing some general clean-up. That can be awfully tiring and painful trying to do by yourself!
I wish! It's still a little cold to do that, still only averaging a high in the 60s. I'll manage it, I work from home so I have a lot of time to go outside and take care of it. I'll save the grilling for the pool parties. :cool:

Looks like an adventure!

Do you know if the equipment even works? Your filter looks ancient. If it's been abandoned for 3+ years, you could have plumbing leaks galore.

I assume that second pump in the background is broken? It doesn't look like it's hooked up to anything. What's that canister-like thing to the lower right of it?

Did you or your husband ever maintain the pool when it when it was open?

Some more detailed pictures may help in figuring out some of the equipment, as will raking the leaves from the immediate area. We can help you figure this out and get it beautiful! Be sure to take pictures of the process!

Melt In The Sun said:
Looks like an adventure!

Do you know if the equipment even works? Your filter looks ancient. If it's been abandoned for 3+ years, you could have plumbing leaks galore.

I assume that second pump in the background is broken? It doesn't look like it's hooked up to anything. What's that canister-like thing to the lower right of it?

Did you or your husband ever maintain the pool when it when it was open?

Some more detailed pictures may help in figuring out some of the equipment, as will raking the leaves from the immediate area. We can help you figure this out and get it beautiful! Be sure to take pictures of the process!
We had it opened and maintained by a pool company 3 summers ago. They put in all new piping so hopefully there won't be any leaks.

The second pump you see isn't attached to anything, I guess it's an old broken one. There's also a third pump sitting next to the tree behind the filter. I have no idea what that canister is for. There was a filter inside, but I couldn't tell if it was supposed to go with anything or if it was some random junk.

All the leaves should be gone by tomorrow. Landscapers are coming to clear out all the debris from the yard.

Got the yard all cleaned up today. A few feet behind the pump is the neighbor's property, so those leaves are theirs. :lol: The landscapers were supposed to help us pull the cover off, but we ran out of time so they are going to come back in a few days and do it.

Took a few more pics of the pump/filter set-up.

Picture441.jpg

I figured out what that canister is for. It screws in on the left underneath the pressure gauge.

Picture445.jpg

I flicked the black switch up for half a second and the pump kicked on, so we know that works. The right switch was in the "on" position, I think it just controls the two outlets below it under the closed cover.

Picture446.jpg

This lever was self-explanatory, turn 90 degrees to open up the water flow. There's two of these.

Picture447.jpg

This one I'm not so sure about. The part of the label that's obstructed under the lever said "off" and "port 2" I think. So I guess the two ports are the two pipes going into it from the top and bottom of the picture. They are the two black-covered pipes sticking out of the ground on the left of the first picture. Not sure where those are coming from or what position this lever should be in.

Picture453.jpg

These are the pipes leading out of the filter. Bottom says "Waste" and the top says "Return." Again, self explanatory.

Picture454.jpg

And this is the lever on top of those pipes. Not sure what to do with it.

Picture439.jpg

Also got my test kit today. When the cover is off I'll pull a sample to see what I'm starting with.

Should I definitely take the filter apart and try to clean it out? As far as I know it was working fine 3 years ago. Maybe check what psi it's running at first?

Also checked out bleach at the local supermarket. Store brand 6% 182 oz jug was $3.30. Walmart or BJ's might be cheaper.

Walmart is definitely cheaper, $2.54 for 182 oz. :goodjob:
I have the Hayward valve that says "Port 1" it does say Port 2 - and most of the time I keep it where your's is pointed but a little to the right on the "1/2" which means it pulls water from both the skimmer and the bottom drain at the same time. If it's hard to turn, you just loosen that ring with the ridges and it allows the handle to turn easier.

I would recommend taking the filter apart and cleaning it since it's been sitting for 3 years. That's your first task. Getting the water level up, and the filtration working is second. Scooping any solid organics out of the water - 3rd. Allow the water to circulate for several hours before doing any testing. :wink:

I agree with FPM, you can get this clean!

Looks like you've got 3 suction lines. The "port 1-port 2" valve controls two of them (skimmers? cleaner port?) and the valve below it controls the third (drain?). You also have three returns.

I don't know what that canister attaches to. It's on the discharge side of the pump, and has a pressure gauge on it. Maybe a valve for a pressure-side cleaner?

ntshclr said:
Also got my test kit today. When the cover is off I'll pull a sample to see what I'm starting with.

Should I definitely take the filter apart and try to clean it out? As far as I know it was working fine 3 years ago. Maybe check what psi it's running at first?

Also checked out bleach at the local supermarket. Store brand 6% 182 oz jug was $3.30. Walmart or BJ's might be cheaper.

Unless you just want to try the kit, I wouldn’t test the water until the pump has been running for an hour or two. You readings will change after the water is stirred up, or at least mine did.

I believe you have a DE filter which I don’t have any experience with, but from what I’ve read here running it with too much or too little DE can be trouble.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.