Converting swamp to pool (pics included)

Hello GG!

I must admit you seem to have the toughest to clean and keep clean pool of about anyone here on this forum.
(I love the robot collection and your write up on the pool skim and solar breeze)

Leaf Gulpers are great- and its a good tool for sure, and a whole buch cheaper no doubt, but I cant get really good performance off my garden hose its kind of weak at least in my area - in comparison to a hammerhead its power seems to have about a much force as a panting squirrel.

I find the leaf grabber does job of picking up freshly fallen (within a week) leaves, but doesnt do so well on pebbles or heavy twigs or layers of stuff and heavy dirt seem to overwhelm the the overall lifting ability before the bag even reaches capacity.

At the same time Im not sure any pool has a mountain of coins waiting to be sucked up though and the hammerhead rocks, I would not buy one personally- rent yes- buy no.

These things below seem to be the formula 1 of swamp cleaning- completely self contained filter and full rated pool pump. A days rental on this puppy may be worth several with the residential stuff we use.

"Uncle" Dave

Attachments

• 1409.jpeg
    1409.jpeg
    24.7 KB · Views: 215
ntshclr said:
Hmm, a little problem. I did a backwash and when I added more DE to the skimmer I noticed it shooting out of one of the return jets shortly after. What does this mean?

You are right that it could be a tear in one of the grids,but there can be other causes. The manifold the grids are attached to could have a hair line crack that opens up under pressure. It could also be your backwash valve called a "slide" or "push/pull" valve. Earlier you posted the slide valve wouldn't lock down. The o rings could be causing the D.E. problem. If they don't fit snugly or are dry rotted replace them. Also, those metal Anthony slide valves tend to pitt inside adding to o ring wear. Hope this helps,good luck.

I checked the backwash valve and the o-rings in there were messed up. I fixed them and that seems to have stopped the DE problem. Thanks poolguy.

Everything seems to be okay now so I'm finally going to start shocking.

I just poured 7 bottles of bleach in to bring the FC up to 16. pH was 7.4 before starting and CYA was 40 (I accidentally poured in one more bottle of stabilizer than I needed).

Here's one last before picture:

Picture541.jpg

Actually I'm not sure what's going on. After the first 30 minutes I tested again and FC was at 11. I brought it back up to 16 and an hour later it was the same. Just tested again 15 minutes ago and it's at 15. It's been about 2 hours, I have no idea how the FC is still 15.

I'm wondering if CCs are interefering with the test....

Just to clarify....You are adding the powder to the 10 ml sample...swirl. Then you add R-0871 and count the drops till the solution turns light pink then clear, and stays clear for 30 seconds?

frustratedpoolmom said:
I'm wondering if CCs are interefering with the test....

Just to clarify....You are adding the powder to the 10 ml sample...swirl. Then you add R-0871 and count the drops till the solution turns light pink then clear, and stays clear for 30 seconds?
Yes, I'm doing the test like that. I just tested again and got FC 15, CC 1.5

Did another test, FC 13, CC 1.5. Again, this is without adding any bleach for hours. I just put in enough bleach to bring the FC back up to 16, and I'm done for the night as it's getting dark outside. If anyone has any idea why the FC isn't dropping faster I'd love to hear it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Still going pretty well. We ordered a new filter today, the Hayward 60 sq ft DE filter. The one we have has been such a pain and it is so old that we decided to just upgrade. Should be here on Friday or Saturday.

I kept the pool at shock all day today, you can really see a color difference now. We can also see down to the third step, before we started we could only see the first.

Here's the pool around noon today:

Picture543.jpg

I just started following this... Nice work, keep the shock level up until the pool comes clear as a bell... Then you will be able to ease off the bleach. Once the pool does get clear and all the contaminents are gone, it will be easy to maintain you FC! Good job!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.