worms driving me crazy

taintn

Sep 8, 2009
tennessee
Just spent 40 minutes dipping worms out of pool, every time we get a little rain one quarter inch last night resulted in 2" inches of worms in a normal sized leaf net. I stillhave some landscaping to do thinking of plant barrier with rocks as mulch outside fence against concrete any other ideas chemical or otherwise thanks.

EEWWW....we get lots of worms also! Our pool was finished in the fall of 09 and the pump filter basket was always full of long yucky worms! I don't want to know how many are in the pool now...but I guess I will find out next week when it is opened! We also get worms all over the driveway after a rain. I have heard that if you have fertile soil you will have a lot of worms! Yuck!!!!!

But how do you keep them out of the pool...I would love to know as well!!!!

I haven't found any way to keep them out of the pool. I usually have the problem in March or April with heavy rains. No mater how long I run the cleaner some still get into the pump basket. They get stuck in the holes of the basket. The only way I clean them out is with vinyl or rubber exam gloves as even the strong pressure from hose won't dislodge them. We purchase boxes of exam gloves from Sam's or Costco (or DH brings them home from work) and use them for all kinds of jobs inside and out. DH even uses them when preparing meals to prevent raw meat contamination and for his sensitive skin preparing veggies and such and using cleaning products.

BTW... I usually have some red worm colonies growing in worm bins recycling kitchen scraps (their castings, poop, is excellent potting soil amendment) and have no issues handling them, but dead, mushy earthworms, stuck in basket openings is not nearly as "nice" as the healthy read worms. The job of cleaning them from basket is one of the yuckiest jobs around here. :rant:

gg=alice

We get them too when it rains hard. Once the water puddles in beds and lawn near the edge of the pool, they rise to the surface through the saturated soil and end up wherever the water flow takes them. You can add some drainage improvements to your beds and areas that typically collect storm water and it will help. But even then, some really heavy rains won't allow the drainage system to quite keep up and you will still have them to some extent.

geekgranny is right though. Once those things get wound around a filter basket, you have to pick them out. They are sticky! We have skimmer socks in the skimmers so we don't get them there. Where I do get them is in the leaf catcher in my Baracuda hose. Yuck!

taintn said:
Just spent 40 minutes dipping worms out of pool, every time we get a little rain one quarter inch last night resulted in 2" inches of worms in a normal sized leaf net. I still have some landscaping to do thinking of plant barrier with rocks as mulch outside fence against concrete any other ideas chemical or otherwise thanks.

You really don't want to kill those earthworms. They keep the soil "tilled" and provide lots of good castings, poop, that enrich the soil. Many gardeners, who know the benefits of "earthworms" (any one who works in the soil whether ornamental or food) go to great lengths to protect them. Anything you do to the soil to kill them will also harm other beneficial organisms in your soil.

You may want to run your pool cleaner for a longer period during times when they go swimming. If it is a suction cleaner, depending on your setup you can catch most of them using an in-line leaf canister or vacuum plate with skimmer sock.

gg=alice

I had problems with worms and also mole crickets, fire ants, june bugs, love bugs, 4 inch millipedes, spiders, slugs, and snails. The fire ants and mole crickets were the worst. The mole crickets were killing my grass and the fire ants would sometimes swarm and there would be hundreds maybe thousands on the pool surface. If someone happened to be in the pool they would get stung I finally had to start using an insecticide on the lawn and the that reduced the problem considerably. It didn't entirely eliminate all the bugs but it did reduce the numbers drastically.

I put crushed lime stone around the pool. It seems that increases the pH of the soil and the worms don't like that so they turn around instead of up over the concrete and in to the pool!
I use to get a pool full of worms with every rain, now I get less than 3 even with super heavy rains.

Reactions: jac14
falken said:
I put crushed lime stone around the pool. It seems that increases the pH of the soil and the worms don't like that so they turn around instead of up over the concrete and in to the pool!
I use to get a pool full of worms with every rain, now I get less than 3 even with super heavy rains.

Hey, there you go! Defeated by science. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.