ABG put inground, pics included

I am curious, what would happen if all the water had to be drained out? Would the ground around the pool not want to push the pool sides toward the middle? I am just new to ABG pools and wonder if the pool sides could handle the pressure of dirt pushing inward.

When I buried mine I asked the PB about it rotting out. He said it depended on the wetness of the soil at base level. He's seen some that lasted 10+ years and some that only lasted 5. I decided to take my chances. I have clay based soil and I'm not sure how good that is but when they dug it out about 3' down the dirt was DRY! He also told me to never drain the pool without calling him first! I have no idea how I would change the liner and I cringe at the thought. I just hope he's still around when it becomes time to. Or better yet, I'm hoping by that time I can just dig a little more and do a gunite :wink: I've heard/seen that know a days they're making resin pools to be buried without the worry of rotting out. Wish they would of had that when I got mine!!

Here's today... almost done shocking. Need to cut, weed and straighten up the yard. Gloomy, overcast day. Looks much better when sun is shining!
DSCN0576.jpg

DSCN0577.jpg

Pool & decor look great :party:

I've got the same type of soil ... clay based. I would imagine the PB would want you to call him before draining it as he may have a way to store the water temporarily, then change the liner, then put the stored water back in.

Regarding it ever rotting out, I hope that never happens to you. When the time comes for me to replace my liner, I am thinking of burying the pool. One thing I'll do is coat the outside walls with some sort of water barrier (the paint on type) before filling back in. I'll also lay a liner shield on the bottom, some pool coves and wall foam. And if I can make another hole on the oppsite side I'll add another skimmer and return too. All for the future :lol:

Regards,
D

First, very nice! I love what you have done with it. I am about to have one installed the same way. Would you do me a favor and measure how much pool is sticking out of the ground near the gnome and tiki torch? I am curious as to how far mine is going to be above ground with a 2 foot sink.

If the PB backfilled with the clay they dug out to set the pool, in 5-10 years there will be NO chance of collapse to drain and install new liner.

You could actually remove the entire pool and replace it with the same size and the hole would already be dug out, lol.

Once clay is either compacted or sits for several years it sticks together and becomes solid and hard again.

Clay does not absorb water like regular soil does either, BUT, as it becomes saturated it will expand, and as it dries out it will contract.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This sure looks like a nice oasis. How did you manage permits to do this though? Isn't your township strict on access to the pool?

This wouldn't fly by me because the pool isn't 48" minimum off of the ground so they would claim someone could fall in too easily. However if it were enclosed by a fence or deck completely surrounding the pool ledge that would be different but that's a lot of work.

Those pictures don't do it justice. It looks sooo much better on a sunny day!!!

The deck's on square pavers at each corner and the two center angles.

My fence is 6ft on the sides and front and 8ft along the back. Both gates stay locked. So that's my 'fence around the pool' too.

Thanks guys!! Since I've posted that pic I have rearranged my landscaping. I moved the palms to the back fence and added some banana trees. I'll try to take more pics and post them soon. It's dark out now. I love the look even more... I find myself staring at it all the time. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.