Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Offset Umbrellas

1. Back To Top    #1

Offset Umbrellas

Don't know if this is the right forum or not but here goes!!!

I just bought one of those offset umbrellas for the pool patio. It's 11.5 feet open and I put 250 pounds of sand in the base. I opened it and a gust of wind nearly took me over with it! Does anybody have one of these and if you do did you do anything to anchor it into the ground? I'm thinking about digging a hole and cementing the sucker in the ground!

And if you have one of these umbrellas...do you like it? Mine seems to be blowing around a lot!!!!
    28,000 IG Free Form Gunite with quartz finish
    Pentair Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS+SVRS
    Polaris 280, Sta-Rite 400K Heater-Propane

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Offset Umbrellas

Oh, gosh I just bought one but haven't put it up yet. I hope I don't hate it... mine doesn't have the sand base tho- this one bolts to the deck floor (but that means I can't move it easily....)

Is it full? Can you add more sand? I know they say not to use it when the winds are up. LOL round here that's all the time....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

We have 3 of them and they are GREAT on a bright sunny day. BUT you cant use them when there is a breeze because they will whip around a good bit, kinda like a big kite. We are fortunate in that our deck is a bit protected from the wind because of the trees that surround our property. Our umbrellas have water bladders in them that we fill with water when we put them up at the beginning of the season. We are very careful about when we put them up, and are always sure to put them down at the end of each day. Hope that helps!
    WV Girl

Custom "L" shape IG gunite pool, 36K gal., main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, hayward heat pump, hayward 1.5hp pump with booster pump, ozonator, 4 cartridge filter.
    one dear hubby, two waterlogged kids, and lots of good times!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by dlduvall
    We have 3 of them and they are GREAT on a bright sunny day. BUT you cant use them when there is a breeze because they will whip around a good bit, kinda like a big kite. We are fortunate in that our deck is a bit protected from the wind because of the trees that surround our property. Our umbrellas have water bladders in them that we fill with water when we put them up at the beginning of the season. We are very careful about when we put them up, and are always sure to put them down at the end of each day. Hope that helps!
    Same here - we have one, and it has a plastic base that you put water in to keep i from blowing over. It also has two set screws to keep it from swinging too much in the breeze, and it worked pretty well last year. We also put it down when we were through for the day.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

5. Back To Top    #5

wow would not work for me, its blowing 45 mph today.. no kidding.
    live in eastern washington state
    18x36, Vinyl inground 24k
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns
    24" sand filter, polaris 280 with booster pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

Don't know how much it'll help but if you add water to the sand it'll make it even heavier.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I already added water to the sand...I did while assembling the contraption! We are hoping to put some landscaping in around the side of the pool that will help with the wind. We are in an extremely windy area, I often call the "wind tunnel"...thanks for the ideas though!

8. Back To Top    #8

I have one (11.5') and cannibalized the base. Sank it in concrete just off the pool deck. I can still remove the umbrella if I needed to. Still can't use it if the winds kick up a little. Mine has a cover that goes over the pole and umbrella. We leave the umbrella in place all year (5th year).
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNJ
    I have one (11.5') and cannibalized the base. Sank it in concrete just off the pool deck. I can still remove the umbrella if I needed to. Still can't use it if the winds kick up a little. Mine has a cover that goes over the pole and umbrella. We leave the umbrella in place all year (5th year).

Did you concrete the whole base in or just the "X" of the base? I really hate how big the black base is...takes up some valuable patio space. How deep did you sink it? I'm glad to hear that your umbrella has lasted 5 years...give me much hope that we didn't just flush $400 down the drain!!! Though I'm sad ours didn't come with a cover!

10. Back To Top    #10

The base had three pieces.
    1. The bottom that held rocks or sand in compartments.
    2. The cover for the bottom.
    3. A piece that screwed into the bottom that the pole slid into and a threaded locking collar.

I cut the bottom down to 1' in diameter. Cut the bottom pieces between the compartments and notched the sides of the compartment pieces. I cut a large plastic planting pot (approx. 20") as a form to level the concrete (2 80lb bags), left pot in place. Cut the cover to match the size of the planting pot.
    I have a freestanding wall on the end of my pool deck. The umbrella is mounted near the wall, With the umbrella closed and tied back its off the deck and over the wall. When open one side lines up with the wall on the deck side. Putting the screened netting on helps with slight winds.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

11. Back To Top    #11

I use double bases on mine. First is the common X kind that you put four concrete 18-20 inch patio step pavers on. That give you about 200 lbs. On top of that a blow molded base filled with water to add extra weight. Not sure how much extra but should be close to another 200 lbs. The molded base can be painted with vinyl/plastic spray paint. Be warned that it is very large but serves its purpose well. I didn't want to concrete my off-set in as I want to be able to move it. You can put a bit of chlorine in the water to keep it from getting foul.

Here's a link for one: http://www.amazon.com/Southern-Patio.../dp/B000EUNAW6

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

12. Back To Top    #12

Also, one brand of off-set umbrellas has a little piece, like a chain, that attaches to help with stability in wind. It is an add on accessory. It is not my brand and would not fit my pole but I'm going to rig up something like that for my umbrella. I'll now go find a picture of it and post link.

Edit.... Wouldn't you know it is by Wanda. Another member here purchases only Wanda products after having lots of experience with patio umbrellas.

http://www.amazon.com/Wanda-UA-WS01-...6&sr=1-1-spell

Better pictures.... http://www.morepatioumbrellas.com/Wa...1-WND1016.html

Edit......... I just ordered one as it says it comes with clip for round poles.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

13. Back To Top    #13

Is burying the base an option? I've seen that a lot with hotels, etc., and I'm sure they have to pay attention to wind more than most homeowners. Something like this http://srpshade.com/products/14x14-s...lever-umbrella. I think it even looks better with the base hidden. If you can't do that, then I'd go with your other option of anchoring it with concrete. That usually holds up well also (example: http://srpskyspan.com/products/vista-14ft-hexagonal). Good luck!

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Thread is over five years old.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School