Replacing coping caulk

Apr 25, 2007
I have an 11K in-ground gunite where the deck has settled a bit and there is now seperation in the caulk between the coping and deck. I would like to replace the caulk to improve the appearance. Should I just remove the caulk or the foam insulation with it and could someone recommend a type and brand of caulk.

Pete,

Polyurethane caulk is most commonly used in that gap. No need to replace the foam unless it is stuck pretty tight to the old caulk. The foam is cheap at a masonry supply dealer if you need it. Almost all good poly caulks will work. HD and Lowe's have good ones.....about 3-4 bucks per tube.

It is a PITA to work with. Tape off both sides of the joint and then squeeze the caulk in barely over the finished level. Next, take a putty knife and CAREFULLY level it between the two taped-off sides. If you work slowly and carefully, you'll get a professional looking job.

Just to chime in, I have watched professional caulkers do their work before, and if it matters what it looks like at all, they do tape off each side of the joint. I would say though, professional caulkers don't use tubes of caulk, they generally seem to mix it and suck it into a caulk gun type thing, which more than likely is way cheaper than buying tubes. I would price things and get a bid and see what could be cheaper maybe. Not sure how big the gap is, but if it is say 1/2" wide, I would put the caulk in probably close to 1/2" deep, maybe 3/8" at the least (IMHO) I doubt it would go more than 5 feet per tube, probably more like 3... There are BIG tubes of caulk out there too, but you would need a big caulk gun.

Good luck
Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.