Newbie with 1st numbers

yes the water is circulating. the pool is greenish but after sweeping i noticed it's settled on the bottom. I think once I vacuum it will clear up a lot. I did check CYA chart. :shock: What should I focus on first?

Fix PH and TA first. Since both are low, I suggest using "soda ash" or "Arm & Hammer Washing Soda" (if you can find that...) Soda Ash is also called "PH Up" "PH increaser" at Pool Stores and in pool departments at big-box type stores. It's active ingredient is "Sodium Carbonate".

(the alternative is to use a combination of Borax and Baking Soda. But try finding the Soda Ash first.)

Then stock up on some bleach. You want to add enough bleach to get the FC up to your "target".

Do you know how to use the Pool Calculator yet?

Once you get the PH/TA fixed, you can start adding chlorine, then you can do an overnight test to see if the FC is holding. If it's not holding, you'll have to shock the pool. But one thing at a time. :)

PH/TA first! :)

I've looked over the pool calculator and put in my numbers. A little overwhelming with sooo many ounces. A friend of mine told me she liked the iphone app better since it does cups and quarts. I'll be getting app soon!

You can get cups/quarts/etc from the web version my letting your mouse pointer hover over the number of oz and then looking at the status area (there are two of them, one near the top and one near the bottom).

Thanks for that info. I kinda like those measuement breakdowns better (easier)!
Okay I'm gonna vacuum 1st to get the excess pollen & debris out and then focus on the ph & ta. Then get started on the chlorine. I'm sure I will be asking more questions throughout the weekend since now I have the husband interested in this method and on board! Thanks again.

reneeh said:
New Question: After I add the soda ash tomorrow, how long should I wait before I test the ph/ta level? :?
With pump running, an hour should be fine.

ETA: It is best to add maybe 3/4 of the amount you need for correcting pH/TA, circulate, re-test & then adjust if necessary. We try not to over-shoot our goals :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, Here's whats taken place in the last week. Instead of wasting products to just vacuum them away this is what I done. I shocked and vacuumed (wasted what I vacuumed out) refilled , done thie 4 more times. Now all algae is gone water is not green anymore almost clear. And here are my new readings! Advice please!!
FC 3.5
CC .5
TC 4.0
PH 7.2
TA 50
CH 70
CYA 26
I did just add the 3 cups of bleach and the suggested amount of borax.
The pool calculator says I need to add 40 lbs. of calcium chloride, 17 lbs. of baking soda and 2 lbs 11 ozs of stabilizer.
I will have to pick these things up tomorrow. Any advice or help?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.